1969 Gulf gt40 wheel and tyre size

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm looking into the wheels for my GT am I correct in thinking that they are 15" x 8" on the front and 15" x 12" on the rear?

The body would have the 'gulf flares' to accomodate the wider rears. Mag BRM's are the 'original type' and I am going to get quotes from...

http://www.racecar.co.uk/gt40/wheelsmain.htm

Are these sizes correct?
Also what were the 'correct tyres' used and can I get them now.........

Cheers in advance

Try this link Doc.
Vintage Wheels

Charrington Motorsport are quite expensive, unless you have unlimited funds! However, they are "original" as cast from original moulds.
There are alternatives, I believe Wealden Engineering are suppling some nice imported wheels from the US. Search the site & I'm sure you will find sevaral alternatives.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Viewing the Vintage Wheels website brings up a very good question: Did Halibrand make castings for GT40s and Cobras similar but different?

When it comes to Halibrand replica wheels I have noticed a distict difference in castings. The Halibrand replicas seen on the Vintage website (others as well) very much match a set of "original" magnesium Halibrands I have seen on an original Cobra. But the Halibrand replica's I have are quite different. So either my replicas are incorrect or there may be a GT40 specific Halibrand design /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tim, yes GT wheels are different than Cobra wheels. There is additional webbing on the top of the "spokes" starting from the center on the GT wheels. You can see on these pics The "holes" in the spokes are also bigger on the GT wheels.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I had some ill conceived knockoffs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I actually really like the GT40 design better than the Cobra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, pics look great

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Finally got a quote for the original mould BRM's......

15" diameter, 10" front £620 each 12" rear £750 each not including VAT or delivery.

Wheels are not painted or polished.......ouch....

BTW the 10" front and 12" rears were fitted on the 1968 P1075 chassis. Now I've got that sorted what tyres to use, my books show me that Firestone tyres were used at Le Mans in 1968.....

Anybody know if you can still get them and are they road legal?

Paul,
Those are pretty reasonable prices for new Vintage Wheels. Quite a good selection also. Mine is a daily driver, so i went with 295/35/18 on the rear and 255/45/17 on the front. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Attachments

• 53671-tirechangers.JPG
    53671-tirechangers.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 379

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
What is the largest rotor size I can use with 'original' 15" BRM wheels? anybody know?

Thanks in advance

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a high quality straight down the axle view of an original BRM wheel? The same view as the ones shown here:
http://www.racecar.co.uk/gt40/wheelsmain.htm
but in a higher resolution.

If so please send it via e-mail to me.

Thanks
Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a set of original BRM 8" and 10" rims. I will take a few photos by the weekend and send them to you.

Back