Hi spec brakes......hhmmmmmm

I've just been attempting fitting my "big disc conversion" from hi spec to the rear of my GTD
I spoke to them this morning as the disc is 23mm in width, as is the distance in the caliper that the disc is supposed to fit between. they told me I have to "adjust" it to fit (with a file/grinder I suppose) they also told me to gring a couple of mm of the pads as well.
Does this "adjusting" sound right?
Simon

Send them back; they're not fit for the purpose they were sold. Even if you could modify them yourself, it's their responsiblility to ensure they are right not yours. As soon as you touch them with a grinder or file you have let them off the hook regarding defects. Give them the opportunity to fix them and state in writing how long this will be. Make it clear that after the time allowed you will persue them for the return of your money. Polite but firm.

Colin Artus

Simon,

I was thinking about this conversion too, after you mentioned last time. I have vented discs currently in Granada Scorpio calipers. They are 20mm maybe they were slightly bigger originally but not 23mm.

I can't see there is anything you can do there are too wide. I would get your money back - any modifications have to be top hole on brake systems you can't grind them down yourself.

OK,

Latest news is that even with a spacer and the face of the caliper spaced away from the wheel, the outside of the caliper hits the inside of the wheel. so not only is the offset wrong, the disc too big (they supplied a 300mm disc) Now while I'm quite happy with hi spec's stuff, I was led to believe it was a simple bolt on conversion. If it was going to be more complicated, I could have taken the appropriate steps. I've now got to dismantle the rear suspension to take the whole upright/wheel/disc/caliper assembly over to them.
I quite understand these ae individual cars and would have been happy to do all this last year when I ordered the bits. Just a bit pi**ed off I've got to do it now.
Anyway, just thought I'd post this so anyone else thinking of having this conversion is aware it's not as staraightforward as you may think (although when they've done mine, there should be no excuse!
Simon
ps, looks like I WON'T be driving up to Stonleigh !!!!

Sorry to hear you probably won't be able to go in your car. Mine's doubtful too but still trying.
I'll be very interested to her about the cconversion if you are going to Stoneleigh by other means. In fact if mine is ready why not come over and hitch a ride up there?

Back