alternate transaxles

I am in the planning stages of my car, I originally planed to use the Quaife 6-spd seq. transaxle, but the cost is very prohibitive. My next thought is the Tremec 6-spd transaxle from a new corvette. Do you know if this will fit into the transaxle area? Are there readily available drawings of the Audi transaxle that will provide me dimensions to see if other transaxles will work?
Thanks.

The Corvette idea won't work. The deminsions would need a car with a 106" wheel base to make it work. The GT is only 95. The original ZF, Audi 016, Audi 01E, Renault, or the G50 Porsche is all you have to choose from. You could use a Hewland race box too I guess but they are noisey.
All of the Roaring Forties use the Audi transaxles because they work good. There is also some new gears and thing that are available for them that really make them much better.
If you use the search engine I'm sure you will find threads that covered this subject. Tons of info there for just about anything GT.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is a "rumor" that SPF is working on a new transaxle...
but I would think it would be fairly expensive compared to
the Audi/Porsche options.

MikeD

Thanks much for the info.

The reason for my inquiry is that I have a great ability to destroy transmissions...and I just want to make sure that this area is not the weak link in my next project.

Layton

Back