J6 25K Mile Service

After 25K miles we're doing a major.

Attachments

• 61467-J6engineout(2).jpg
    61467-J6engineout(2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 844

Howard Jones

Supporter
Would you please post lots of pictures like you did with your P3? I love your car and a nice long thread with lots of pictures would be something to look forward to.

Thanking you in advance.

Will this be a "full restore" like you did on the P4 and T70 or just a "health checkup" after 25K miles? Also, will you be going thru the engine?

one more vote for Pictures!

thanks

Just a very major service. We'll inspect and restore as necessary but we don't forsee anything too problematic. We will open the motor but aren't expecting much. The tub is totally fine. The clutch is fine but we'll replace it along with brake pads, tires, hoses and belts. The T-44 is fine as well. A good cleaning, replace bolts, etc. Touch up the paint and heatshielding.

I may have some of the dry deck water necks for the bare block you have . If you need any, let me know. Also I am looking for one good aluminum tunnel port head. Please e-mail me at [email protected].

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jim,
Not to open a can of worms, but I suspect you have a very friendly person to do the NYS insection? As the MK IV has no parking brake it does not meet the letter of the law in New York. I ran into this with P1116 as the "E" brake system on that car consisted of a lever and pully unit that pulled the service brake pedal down and engaged all four calipers. The law requires a "separate and non-hydraulic" parking brake system for inspection. Having an inspection license made P1116 a simple matter....I assume you have a similar arrangement?

Please contine to post pictures of the refurb. Does the auto T-44 have any innards or is it "bare"?
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Jim, Please keep posting the pics. I just love looking at what is in the background. The Gullwing, the E Type,
the Ferrari. What a workshop!! Thanks mate.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jim

In the picture of the transmission there is what looks like a Gull Wing Merc. Does it have a secial history? Any more pictures to share?

I love that garage of yours!

Thanks for all the pictures
Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
Could you tell us some more about the auto t44? Did it ever race? How did it do if it did? Have you used it in your car at some point? Where did it come from? Do you have the other parts, bellhousing, torque converter, coolers, shifting mech. Is it ment to be shifted from gear to gear when raced or just left in "drive" Does it have a little plate for the dashboard PRD21 or somthing like that? Does it have a "park", reverce?

I love your car, can I be your son? If so, can I take Sally out to the burger joint in it? Please!

Thanks for the pictures. This is really a little bit of history. Heady stuff. Thanks again.

I got these notes from Lee Holman on the auto tranny:

[ QUOTE ]
The auto used the same ring gear, pinion nad front case but all other parts were very different. This was a product of the dyno test which showed the GT 40 Mark II did not need to change gears that much so why not make it a 2 speed and have the trany change when needed. They did not work as they should and a lot of money was wasted on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it ever raced. I have tons of spares none of which are for sale. They came with J6 and were aquired by her former owner Peter Lavonos. He told me the auto was all that was left of J2 after Mile's fatal crash as the rest of J2 was destroyed (By Lee Holman) as was J1's tub at Kar Kraft (By destructive testing on chassis dyno).

J6 of course has her original manual T44.

Back