Jensen Healey Race Car is "Done" - Where did my year go?!?!?

Ron Earp

Admin
Jensen Healey Race Car is \"Done\" - Where did my year go?!?!?

Well, it has taken almost one year to the day for Jeff and I to get this car built, inbetween getting my race license, racing a little in Miatas and Z cars, and working on a host of other cars too. Still, a year isn't all that bad and it is "done" for lack of better word.

We loaded it into the trailer today to take it to the suspension shop for alignment and the welder for a side exit exhaust system. We will also lower her down in the front about 1.5" or so, and drop the rear about 1", but after that I'd say she'd be ready to race barring any engine startup issues.

Here are some pictures, but they are high-res and I lost my resizer. Therefore, I've enclosed the links to the pics you can look at if you like. Well, I'll stick one in at the end, the rest you can click on:

Side view with Sydney, my daughter:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/sydneyjensen.JPG

Quarter View:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/jensenquater.JPG

My wife driving while Jeff and I get ready to push like hell. Otherwise known as the Minster of Domestic Affairs for those who read my posts from time to time.

http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/juliejensen.JPG

Jensen from the front:
http://www.gt40s.com/images/jensen/jensenfront.JPG

And one here, a side view. I hope to have it running on Thursday or Friday of this week and ready for a test day at VIR on August 5th!!!!!
smallside.JPG

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Re: Jensen Healey Race Car is \"Done\" - Where did my year go?!?!?

Ron the car looks great.Love the roll cage and it's the design all open cars should adopt over here.
Massive prang yesterday Porsche driver went end for end rolling 4 times.Thankfully the guys ok.I see the Lotus badge what was the lotus Jensen Healey connection? I seem to remember there was one.
Minister of D/A needs to consider fire rated clothing nice smile though.
Regards Ross

Re: Jensen Healey Race Car is \"Done\" - Where did my year go?

Ross,
I believe that these JHs were powered by a Lotus twin-cam engine. I'm sure Ron will chime in and fill in the details /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Yes I think I have read this in my Lotus books Chris.I think they could have done a better job on the front of the car but the rest of it is great typical Brit much like Triumph TR, MGB.I have a 165hp TC Toyota motor going in my Europa, Thats about 40 more than the big valve lotus TC and about 1/5 of the price inc throttle body fuel injection yummy.Trying to get it ready for next Easter Lotus club trip to Tassie similar to your trip.How's your GT40 now all good I hope.
Ross

Hi Ross,

The GT40 is running better than ever. Just itching for the next track day.

Incidentally, as a direct comparison between this model JH , I regularly raced against one in my TR6 in a class that was basically mildly modified production cars. The JH nearly always had it over us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I once had a chance to sit in that car next to the owner's son as an instructor. It had surprisingly good grip and balance as we explored its limits.

Ron Earp

Admin

Hey Ross,

Thanks for the compliments on the Minister's behalf, I'll let her know! ;-)

Colin Chapman was a smooth dude. See, he heard about Jensen Healey needing an engine and thought to himself "Hmmmm, we've got an untried 907 motor, I should offer it to Jensen Healey, let them do the development work, and when they are done I'll use the motor". Which is exactly how it worked.

Lotus offered the motor to JH and they used it. Unfortunately, the engine was brand new and had all sorts of issues, the biggest of which was oiling issues that ruined motors in no time flat. Lotus didn't warranty the motors, JH had to, so when they failed it was on JH's nickel (or pound as the case would be). Smart huh?

The JH has a storied race history in ths US racking up all sorts of Production wins in the 70s. In fact, the top winning car, Huffaker's JH, was pulled out of the shop in 1995 (23 years old at that point) and won the E Produciton championship again against a lot of serious modern contenders.

The engine is a DOHC 2L that is fairly unique (not the TC). It has direct valve acuation from the cams using shim on bucket followers, so no lifters to float at high RPM. Block is very strudy, good for a lot of hp, and the cranks are very strong too as are the rods - all stock pieces.

Stock the motors made 140hp, and that was 70s ratings. I think with the good header we have, 0.5 compression hike, and port work I've done as well as valve job and some other little things we should see around 160-170hp. Not a lot, but this car is the lightest car in the ITS (top level of improved touring) class at 2200 lbs - next closest thing is a 240Z at 2450 lbs. So, maybe we'll have a chance.

Ron,

The J/H looks great. The last time I saw it in December you had just gotten it back from the paint shop. Shouldn't the name on the door read Mrs. Dr. Ron Earp? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif She looks a lot happier than the day she bluntly asked me "Are you going to buy that car and get it out of my garage". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat

Supporter

Ron,
Is the Jensen Vintage eligible?

Ron Earp

Admin

Dan, she didn't know what she was getting into - I've got more cars to build now than I can keep track of! And, I'll have to put her on there as Drs. Earp, she did her time for her post hole digger and now teaches at NCSU as a tenured professor now. I will put her and Sydney on as crew/team owner! How is the 40 coming along? I hope she is about ready for some paint now so maybe she'll get on the road about the same time I get mine from RF. Have you decided on a motor?

Veek, it is Vintage ready and those events are FUN, although I've only watched them thus far - I'll race it at the next one! My partner Jeff took his vintage eligible Trimuph that he races regularily to a big vintage event at VIR last year - and won! Seems the vintage guys don't get out that much and of course, they have $$$$ invested in their babies. Jeff on the other hand races his Trimuph every chance he gets and with the same love you have for a race car, which is to say, he dogs it. So, put him out on the vintage race event and he can win against cars much more worthy and powerful, but their drivers don't get as much seat time and have to spare the whip.

R

Pat

Supporter

Ron,
You may want to think about the Sept 9th open wheel/vintage race at Roebling Road for the Jensen. Because it is a smaller group it is a lot more of a "club feel" and the track time is a little better as they don't have to accomodate the bazillion IT classes.
I race open wheel and it is the most fun event of the year.
http://www.buccaneerregion.org/vintage-2005.html

Ron Earp

Admin

Veek,

What sort of open wheel do you do? There is some cool stuff out there these days, Forumla Mazda, etc. I might try and come down there to Roebling, neat track. Of course, we race in IT and I like racing with the IT groups, but a vintage event would be neat to do and it sounds like there would be some good track time.
R

Pat

Supporter

I race a Formula Vee. The class is very stable and I've been in grids where 7/10th of a second would cover 5 qualifiers. It all comes down to who will brake later and drive the cleaner line. The racing is close and an awful lot of fun. The Formula/Vintage weekend is really low key and reminds me of club racing 10 years ago.

Ron Earp

Admin

Veek,

those are pretty cool cars and I paddocked near a fellow with one at CMP and spent some time with him. Spec Miata is sort of the modern version of Formula Vee (sans the open wheel and dedicated race car chassis, but same intent, a close spec class) and is extremely close as well. I've driven a few SM races and they are very fun, with extremely large fields that are full of action. Relaxed it ain't though, but still a lot of fun!!! If I can come down there I hope to meet you!

Ron

Ron,

You are going to be on the road/track looooong before I will, but that's ok. It's somewhat of a surprise to me just how little free time I actually have to dedicate to this car. I'm busier than I thought!!! It is going fairly well, I have all of the body hung and was able to achieve better gaps everywhere than I ever thought I would get when I first started. What a first class pain in the a$$ but it looks like it is going to be worth it. I'm just know getting ready to cut out for the lights and mount them. Still have not nailed down an engine combination yet.

Veek, the link you posted looks very interesting. Are there any other track you get to in Fla other than the ones in the club?

Pat

Supporter

Hi Dan,
I race the Vee at Moroso, Sebring, Daytona and Roebling. The crew chief (wife) likes the Savannah the best with the dining and riverfront and part of the deal is if she goes racing with me she gets a nice night out. Here is last year's car with crew chief.

Attachments

• 61703-VEE1small.JPG
    61703-VEE1small.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 314

Ron Earp

Admin

Cool car Veek, neat paw print motif. Do you ever come to CMP or VIR?

Ron

Pat

Supporter

Hi Ron,
The car is a Caracal and the pawprint is the logo.
I have not been to CMP or VIR both a number of the Florida Vee guys love it. I'll give it a go when I can get a little more time off.
By the way, here is the picture of the current car.

Attachments

• 61920-FV(Small).JPG
    61920-FV(Small).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 338
Back