5 stud hubs to knock on

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Ive just spent the last 3 hours, looking through this section of the Forum.
The breadth of knowledge, just in this section of the Forum, is quite staggering.
Id like to thank all the Posters and people that provided answers.
It sure beats the TV. Ive found many articles very helpful.
But could someone please clarify a point for me please?
If i have wheel hubs fitted with 5 studs to hold the wheel on and i want to change wheels to knock on type, do i only need to fit knock on adaptors, or must i also change the hub?
Sorry if this question has been answered before, ive been through this whole Forum and am still not clear on this issue.
Thanking you in advance.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Charlie
I have 5 bolt Granada hubs on my car with 5 pin adaptors. they use special nuts that hold the adaptor on as drive pins for the wheel. These were made by Ken Saunders some years ago and are no longer available. If enough people were interested, I may consider having some made. The problem is they may vary depending on the wheels you are using.

Brian.

Attachments

• 67873-RearHub.jpg
    67873-RearHub.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 305

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hi Brian,

Many thanks, your comments confirm what i understood to be the case.
I notice you say you had some made.
Is there no manufacturer in the UK or the US who may have some in stock?
Any help out there sourcing these would be appreciated.

Try also Roy Smart, He continues to manufacture the GTD chassis together with lots of upgrades - such as Fully rose-jointed suspension, brake conversions, Improved front uprights and of course - the 5 stud to pin-drive conversions.

Mail me for his tel number if interested... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone have a contact phone number for Roy Smart? I want to contact him about a brake conversion. Thanks in advance.

I'm looking @ doing the pin drive adaptor route also now that Image have just made a very convincing BRM wheel. Unfortunately they don't do any sort of adaptor to fit them. A friernd of mine has been in touch with Vintage and Team 3 but it would seem they already come drilled and not in the Granada PCD of 112mm I need. Any ideas ?
Tim, I'll pm Roy / Paul and see what they say.
http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_wheel_pages/classic_gt40.html

It will mess up offsets, but you can buy a bolt pattern adapter. They are usually 1" thick or more but it will have holes drilled for your 112mm and studs offset to whatever pattern you want. Probably not a good solution but an option non-the-less.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I have 112mm hubs and you can get adapters from Trigo engineering that are custom drilled. I think the standard 4.5" ones may work as well. The adapters bolt on using hex head lugs so wheels will need to be bored to suite. Phil Schmidt at PS Engineering in California did the whole bit.

Hi Neil,

Haven't had time to call Phil yet - I take it he will drill them for you then.
Have you got Granada hubs then ?

Howard Jones

Supporter
1. 4.5" bolt pattern things will not fit onto a stock GTD bolt pattern hub. The GTD pattern is aprox 4.3" and is used on Mercedies amoung others.

2. Usually the wheels and the adapters are matched for the aplication. What I mean is since the adapter will increase the offset of a given wheel is nothing else is changed then you remove material from the back of the mateing face of the wheel that is equal to the added thickness of the adapter. This way their is no net increase in offset as compaired to the orginal bolt on wheel.

3. Measure you current wheel offset and give it to the wheel supplier. Make sure they know what kind of knock on adapter you will be using and its measurments (mounting face thickness).

4. Unless the wheel maker has made wheels for you car make before and has used the knock on adapter you will be using before also you might want to trial fit a wheel first. One each on front and back before you get a set all welded up.

5, You might spend a little more on shipping but getting the offset correct is a pretty big deal. Adding shims later or sending back a full set to have the mateing surace turned doewn isn't really the best way to do this.

6. Measure twice cut once.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Phil gets the adapters blank and will machine to suite.

Now Howard, according to my Windows calculator 112mm is
4.4094488188976377952755905511811 inches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya thats where the aprox comes in, but it still won't fit. And you're correct, PSE knows all about the GTD bolt pattern. As a matter of fact the very first 17" BRM wheels that they made are on my car. I was the guy who first discussed the need for 17 inch BRMs with Phil a couple of years ago an commissioned the first set for a GTD. Tell him you need them to fit a GTD like mine and you will be fine.

I am very happy with mine and intend to get another set when I buy some track only slicks.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a contact phone number for Roy Smart? I want to contact him about a brake conversion. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tim / all

Roy Smart is back online now - (albeit still 56K for moment) and can be reached by emailing royksmart'AT'aol.com (replace the 'AT' with @) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Or mail me for his phone number for direct contact (09:00 - 21:00 GMT only please)

Allow a little time for the response as he doesnt check his mail as often as I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back