GTD40 Rear Camber

Howard Jones

Supporter
Malcom. Ya.......... I guess I was a bit hard on the old girl................ But if you could feel the difference between that first few days at the track many years ago and how she goes now you would remember just how bad a girl she really was back then. You are correct that GTD's were the beginning of this journey for me too. I have a lot to be thankful for. Lots of friends, many a great day at the track and what has become a lifestyle really.

Now after a lot of mucking about the set up she is very well mannered and predictable. I have even put just a bit of high speed (+100mph) push into her with the bars I made. She's just a pretty quick but sweet lady now.

As far as the future for Betty. She's going to undergo a make over back to a cruse street car over the next few years. My SLC is going to take her place on the track.

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Howard, yup I remember those days! There was one day at the GTD factory track day at Goodwood back in about 92 or 93 when Simon Osborne was in the Maclaren M8 replica behind me in my 40 behind Roy Smart in his 40 behind Brian Pepper in one of his 40's. My car was very standard then no upgrades at all. We were lapping all very close together, maybe 1 second gaps and all going for it. Crikey I so nearly ran up the back of Roy's car about 3 times!!!!! We were lapping about 1 min 37s. It was the brakes and the Goodrich Comp TA tyres that were the limiting factor as I recall. The M8 was the faster car but managed to keep it behind us for a long time. Good days those. Time was when you could go testing at Goodwood for £50 or a track day for £65. Mind you the paddock was a bit rough then.

Before I fitted the Southern GT rear end my best ever time at Goodwood was timed by Aston Martin Owners Club in a sprint meeting with a standing start lap of 1 min 31 secs. Got 2nd FTD that day. Beat Andy Shpeherds AC Cobra by 6/100ths! We both got beat by a Reliant Scimitar It did have a Cosworth DFV in it though! Nice AMOC glass trophy too but a few years later my cat knocked it off the shelf and smashed it into a million pieces. Anyway the point of that recollection was that the suspension was mainly standard only that I had dropped the top link as previously described. It was reckoned that the difference between a flying lap and a standing start lap was between 3 to 5 seconds. Robin Batt managed a 1:27 flying lap as I recall and he and I used to go head to head quite a bit back then so this lap if a flying lap would be about that I guess.

Sorry but not been at Goodwood for a long time now so don't know how I would fare with the Southern GT rear end on my GTD. Problably slower anyway as couple of decades older now and a bit more cautious!!!!! But if a like for like driver the Southern GT chassis mod would definately be quicker. Mick has done a great job with it.

Malcolm , BF T/A Goodrich I might consider putting them on my trailer,or cut it in half and make a swing out of it, I gather you have learn t a few things along the way.

My comment all related to my experience on my 40 on rear camber gain and or static is you dont need a lot.

I would have to check but I think it only gets about .5 deg per deg of roll.
I found having to much neg give to much rear grip and induces under steer.
I see people often complaining of under steer with these cars, after doing a lot of jerking around it was because of the rear grip over powering the front grip.
As you have no weight on the front tires (no eng) it is easy to end up with to much grip from the rear (it has an engine).
When coming onto the power it will start to sit back and reduce front tire load even more

I reduced toe in to 1mm per side, .5 deg neg static and raised the rear roll center to knock off the tyre loading even more.
The balance went from very disappointing to sensational.
Every car can be different but that is my experience.

Jim

Last edited:
Back