best transaxles for big hp

Hi guys,

I am building a 427w aluminum race block with yates c3 head,sheet metal intake,f.a.s.t aftermarket fuel management system,twin turbo (gt30r),we thing the power will be in the 800-1000 hp on pump gaz.I know i will have to much power.Now guys you know why i need the best tranny out there.
G50/50,930,ZF,AUDI 6SPD I REALLY DONT KNOW? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks,
Don.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Torque is what is going to break the box, not hp. With that said, my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif is the 930 4spd followed by the g50. Good luck madman. Welcome to the forum.

Don't take this the wrong way....please,
but if you are going to try to have that much power in a car, then you better learn to fabricate your own stuff pretty quick. You can make your own bell housing pretty easy out of tubes with an exposed clutch. You are going to have problem after problem with axles, wheels, etc.
How do you plan to transmit this power to traction in a turn ?

I will use custom 300m axle shaft to put the power to the wheels and trac control to put the power to the ground.
Thanks,
Don.

The 930s are the strongest that Porsche has to offer that I know of. However with that much power, you will be better off going with the more expensive units. I hope you like straight cut gears and the noise they make, cause that is about what it is going to take. Hope you like to slam shift as well. If you plan to put it on the street and just like the WOW factor, then the 930 might hold up(red light bandit stuff), but not for long.

Bill

These pictures are of a 1.250" axle out of hardened steel, we are running no more than 350 HP, If you mean a Chrysler 300M axle shaft......good luck with that one. You are going to need to build your own out of 3" of 3.5" seamless driveshaft tubing.

damagedaxle.jpg

damagedaxle2.jpg

Jim

Howard Jones

Supporter
You are going to need to put a full on race box into that car if you EVER intend to run slicks, or for that matter use all that power. I gonna guess but at 1000Hp you are going to be making about that much torque also. The only gearboxes that can take that kind of power are in Indy cars, big power sports prototypes, vintage CANAM cars and the like. Dito on the clutch, halfshafts, uprights, motormounts, wheel bearings, etc.

My guess is you spend 40 grand of the powertrain.

Search the internet for old CANAM cars. This is pretty much what you will need to do in each catagory of the build.

The orginal MK1's had about 400hp and the 427's about 550ish. That was enought to create the legend we all love.

Have you ever been in a 1000 hp road race car on a track? I not trying to discourage you but a lot of really cool hotrods have been ruined by putting in too much power.

Good luck anyway. Keep us all posted on your progress.

Don,

930 transaxles can be beefed up to almost 1000 HP - Porsche
did it with the 935s in the late 70s/early 80's. But you'll
be stuck with only a 4 spd.

ZFs have been modded to handle 800+ HP as well in some wild
Panteras.

The 996 TT box is good only to 600HP according to Porsche.
And that is already heavily modified. Plus, it is a pretty
long box - it might not even fit.

Ian

I hope you like working on your car because I think you will be do a lot of that. I am not sure of the street gearboxes but I would stay away from the old Hewland stuff. It is very expensive and even the old 1600 pound 800 HP Can Am cars chew them up pretty fast. A R&P is good for maybe a couple hundred hours and those two pieces alone are 4000 bucks. The new Hewland boxes can stand much higher HP than the old stuff and will probably cost less to buy. Personally, I like driving not fixing.Good luck. It sounds like quite a project.

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
Side view, NTL-6 Hewland, 500ft/lb sequential 6 speeds with reverce. This gearbox is used in 24 hour sport prototypes. This is serious full on race car stuff. I'm guessing it should be go for about 600-700Hp at race useage. If you need more than this I would contact Hewland and talk to them.

Attachments

• 77845-nlt_side_2.jpg
    77845-nlt_side_2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,189

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I have a line on a one of these if somone is interested. I believe it is a 6 speed but has no reverse.

Oliver

Hi Don,
If you've got the pockets to support a genuine 1000bhp project (without compromising) then this is who you need to be talking to, this kind of thing is just daily bread and butter to these guys, it's what they do (very well).

http://www.xtrac.com/mainindex.htm

Don't both calling if your not willing to spend big as they know how to charge (like a wounded rhino!) but they CAN supply you with the best and strongest gearboxes currently availble.

Back