best transaxles for big hp

Hi ddcobra man,
Wow 1000 hp. I run 550 hp through the G50 /50 I ran it last year in an Ultima for about
2000 miles of track use with slicks and it was fine, The engine has now been upgraded to 600 hp
and is due to be tested this year.
My current build is another GTD 40 with 640 hp
The forces generated through the whole drive train on a dry day with slicks is immense.
I remember well when I had 350 hp and I was driving at my best ( lots of track time ),then I upgarded to 550 hp and I virtually had to start learning to drive again .I think the biggest learning curve was the extra Torque available.
With such power you will need to able to drive and STOP it and as pointed out, be able to mend it.
Some 40's with less than 300 hp with good brakes and driver will out perform 600 hp.
One other thought I had was to get bigger brakes and spend much less than the engine on a good Instructor.
Happy hunting keep us posted and most of all keep safe
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

The drive shaft bolts on that Hewland sequential box look a bit anaemic - especially for 1000 hp and a dragster type start. But Hewland is a very good company so I accept that they know what they are doing.

The current Bugatti with 1000 hp cost VW/Audi hundreds of millions of $'s to develop. That has a specially designed Ricardo gearbox I believe.

You want a good gearbox?

Mendeola HD4. Strongest transaxle on the planet.
Sequential shifting, 13 inch crownwheel 1600 horsepower and 1100ft/lb torque. I thinks that should be sufficient.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Mendeola HD4. Strongest transaxle on the planet.

Don't get me wrong here because Mendeola makes a great trans but I've seen many Mendeolas break, they are as dependable as any other high performance trans under big hp, no more, no less (frankly, apples to apples, Fortin Racing tranmissions are stronger yet). There are quite a few trans rebuild shops in So Cal and Arizona that make a business rebuilding Mendeolas being they are the trans of choice in many off-road cars.

We've mentioned this here before, the Mendeola is much too long to fit in a GT40, in addition, they are heavier as wellDead

Rumor is that Mendeola is coming out with another model for street use, not the HD4, but as yet it's not available.

Yes, Tim I know what you mean.

The phrase 'strongest transaxle on the planet' is their words not mine, taken from their literature on their website..

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
.......their words not mine, taken from their literature on their website..

Yes RamboLambo, that would explain it, can't believe everything you read these days:rolleyes:

Back