LG500 Box - Questions

Ron Earp

Admin
I was trying to get some info on a LG500 gearbox. What sort of price would one of these things go for? And, where would you get it? Is anything produced that is similar?

I checked a couple of the old threads that mention this box but didn't quite find answer to these questions.

Ron

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Why the LG500 which is a four speed? I'd go for the five speed LG600. These are still manufactured new I believe, not by Hewlands though. I too would be interested in the answer to your questions. I think Richard Timte may be one of the experts on these. I recall reading in one thread some time ago about $9500 for a second hand LG600 and I think about twice that for a new one. Got to watch out for corrosion of the magnesium case.

Regards

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Ah ha! I've been educated. I might have known that at one time, but forgot it. I don't think a four speed would be too bad, but you are right I'd rather have five. LG600, how much do those go for, large money?

Ron,

Keep an eye on www.race-cars.com. It's a great source for both cars and parts(F1 to spec racers). I've seen a couple of LG600s for sale there, in the past. They always seem to have a big selection of Hewland gearboxes in the classifieds. There isn't an LG600 currently listed, but they do have a brand new 6spd sequential for sale (race team spare). All yours for $20K USD!

Bill

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

Richard gave me a guys number about a year ago that had a LG600 and it was about 10k as I recall. I was used on a can-am replica of some sort as I recall. It had a chevy bell and sounded acutally pretty good. But getting it to the ford was going to be requiring some custom work for a bell housing, not to bad just more work then fran convinced me that the 930 will do very well for what I need. I may have his number at work. It was at one time advertised in Hemmings. Also

http://www.can-am-cars.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=4

They had some that were new as well as used. Other interesting stuff.

Sandy

Cool site. Checked through. Page 3 has a used LG600 at $16.9K, page 4 a new one at $29.9K and page 9 has a ZF for $5995.

Ron I believe J-what? has experience with both in his MK4 he races in the upper midwest. I seem to remember him posting that he may have one for sale as well. Probably a great contact to make before you spend huge money. I have heard the Hewlands can handle huge power and have any part/gear you will want, but they are racing boxes that need alot of maintenance to keep them going.

The ZF on canamcars is a dash zero. The first model used on some of the first GT40s and Lotus'. Kinda delicate and parts/gears/synchro's are unobtanium.

Chuck Haines at Can Am cars has a bunch of Hewland stuff. G&G Motorsports in Indianapolis and RM Motorsports in Canada are also good. If you are trying to restore and old car you might need an LG but, they are getting old and tired. I don't know if new cases are available. Pieces are expensive and in fact, they don't carry as much power as the new transaxles. Get a MK2 if you have the choice. If you don't absolutely need an old LG I would find a newer style. Fit is the other consideration. Good luck.
Bill

Ron,

I would add a little to the mix. You can get all the parts you need to keep these runnings, but the biggest problem is getting a bell housing for a 6 bolt ford. I can get a pile of 5 bolt housings but was only able to find one 6 bolt. Also getting a housing for Chevy is easy as well (aluminum or Mag). As you are also aware from prior posts, these boxes are as strong as hell and was original equipment on the T70 and Spider. The mark I version had a few problems with big block power (the side bells would flex causing the ring and pinion to break). The fix Mark II added extra ribbing on the case and the side bells were completely redesigned. As for sources you already have all the ones I have.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Andy,

Would you like to elaborate on this statement.... "but they are racing boxes that need alot of maintenance to keep them going." ?

I would have thought the only issue different to a syncro box would be wear on the dogs if not shifted properly. You could apply the same consideration to syncros in a syncro box though. A Hewland is also going to be much lower stressed in this application than the majority of alternative trans. Bang for bucks is still a 930 though.

Surely r & p and slip must be similar, bearings must be similar, gear sets and dog rings are much more simple than syncro equivalents, fewer moving parts etc.... ??????? And any way it's only a matter of minutes to pull the gear sets out....????

Just got me scratching my head........

Regards

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
This is a wealth of information. Those boxes are not cheap, that is for sure. I'd probably just do a ZF before doing one of these based on Bill's comments and from those of a racer that had fooled around with them. I didn't know about the issues with bellhousings Sandy and Richard, but that is another hurdle with them to be sure.

We'll run this little 016 and maybe it'll suprise the hell out of everyone, including me, and not blow up! Then again, maybe it will. We'll get some real good data based on my experiences with it since it is a brand new 016 box, with Quaiffe, and should provide some real emperical info based on track use.

R

Hewland Box

I am also in the market for a LG500 or 600. Any leads are appreciated.

Nick

I drove my Lola T-70 with it's original LG 500 for 40K miles on the street with no problems. I still have it but not for sale. When I did my massive resto. I went to a GT 40 ZF I got from someone who had bought it from Kar Kraft as the Zf had 5 speeds and I thought it would be better for the street.

The LG 500 was no problem at all once you got the hang of it.

Back