GTD gearchange

It was a toss up if I should put this in the powertrain section or here, but as I guess it is GTD specific, this is the place.
I have a GTD which has been "built" and has been (briefly) on the road (for briefly, read about 5 miles!)
The previous owner/builder told me there was a problem with the gearchange, and he thought there was a problem with the gearbox.
Now I've got the car home, I have started putting things right that have not been done properly. It IS my intention to do lots of work to the car to bring it up to a better stsndard as and when funds allow, but at the moment, I want to check the whole thing through and put right some problems.
Upon closer inspection, the gearlever end has been incorrectly assembled (see pics) and now it has been put right, I can select all the gears.
The whole point of the post is to ask if the gearbox end connectors look the right way round? On my last car I put the cables on the TOP of the bracket connected to the gearbox instead of below and that gave me a conventional gate. This one looks the same and the gears all seem to be in the conventional positions when I select them (ie not reversed) but when putting it into fifth, it makes a noise like it's going into reverse? Can anyone tell me from looking at the pics if I am likely to have the gate COMPLETELY reversed and have reverse where 5th should be? (if so does just swapping cables put it right?)
Sorry if the description is a bit vague.
The car is a non runner at the moment so I am unable to check it with the engine running.

Simon

Attachments

• gearchange-before-1.jpg
    gearchange-before-1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 642
  • gearchange-before-2.jpg
    gearchange-before-2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 638
  • gearchange-after-1.jpg
    gearchange-after-1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 612
  • gearchange-after-2.jpg
    gearchange-after-2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 636
  • gearchange-gearbox-end.jpg
    gearchange-gearbox-end.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 682
Simon

Lift the back of the car put it into gear and turn the motor by hand.
Whatever way the wheels turn will give you an idea if its in 5th or rev.

Direction can be changed in the linkage design through bell cranks ect so cables being in the same or different positions may not mean that much.

Turn the eng you can even work out the gear selected as it will change the wheel rotation in relation to crank rotation.
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Simon

You would be better off replacing those weak ball joints for rod ends and high grade bolts. This will increase strength and reduce play in your shifter.

regards

Chris.

Chris,

Thanks, i did that with my last car, it made the gearchange more positive. I'm going to do the same with this.

Simon

Hi Simon
If you haven't already seen it, go to forum area Tech Powertrain/Transaxles. There is a topic called "Cable Gearchange HELP!!!" by Simon H, dated 25/7/06. This shows pics of the same type of linkage but the area under the gearlever is arranged differently. His arrangement is the same as mine with the gears in the same position as on the gearplate photo ie first is left and back.

It may give you some more ideas.

Regards

Dave Tickle

Hi all

Frank Catt of Wealden Engineering kindly supplied me with a GTD cable gearchange. The gearlever is as Dave has pointed out the other way round from yours Simon. The cables then run back to the gearbox shaft and sit the same way (L & R) as up on the lever (I think!! I will check tonight). This does give me a left and back 1st gear which may not suit some people. After owning a few italian motors I found this configuration fine. I know there was a comment when I posted that question saying these cable set ups are no good and a rod change is the way to go. All I can say is that I have used this for a little while now and it works perfectly in all gears.

I suppose the only improvement would be to install a reverse lockout gate but I have had no trouble changing down into second gear so far. Chris is right about the rod ends, it does seem to reduce the slack when the gear lever is being moved. RS Components would be able to supply the correct size rod ends if you don't already have a supplier.

Regards

Simon H

Last edited:
Back