ZF specialty tools

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
About to embark on the flipping of my ZF-2 and need the tool to pull the diff side bearings. Does anyone know where to purchase this gizmo?
Thanks,
Rob

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
We made one, I can take pics of it if you like. You cut the old bearing cage and remove rollers first. Then use the puller with a porta power pump.
Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Rob I haven't done this but it is possible to dimantle the limited slip unit while inside the case and then you can extract the shafts with bearings still on.
Ross

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
Thanks, I will give them a call.

Ross,
Yes, please...some pics would be appreciated. I was pondering making the tool, but was hung up at the strength consideration. Fearfull I would spend half a day making a tool that would end up braking due to how thin it would need to be to fit under the bearing. Also gave consideration to disassembling the bearing, so interesting you mentioned this is the solution you came up with.

I thought some about the disassembly of the posi in the case, but didn't think for my first ZF disassembly I wanted to try it in such a confined space.... :)

Thanks guys,
Rob

Ron McCall

Supporter
Rob,
Are you just trying to remove the bearings to get the diff out of the case?
Once the side plates are off, there is plenty of room to get to the bolts that hold the diff together. not a bad job at all.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Ron,
Yes, I am trying to get the bearings off, in order to flip the ring gear. It seems clear the carrier can not be removed with the bearings in place. I referred to the ZF assy manual, and it also states the bearings need to be removed.

Is your reference to the diff disassembly relevant to flipping the gear (also supporting Ross' suggestion)?

Thanks,
Rob

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Rob
Here are pics of my tool. The one from underneath shows the bearing without cage and rollers in the tool.
Ross

Attachments

• zf tool and macca 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 428
  • zf tool and macca 002 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 002 (600 x 450).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 433
  • zf tool and macca 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 435
  • zf tool and macca 004 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 004 (600 x 450).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 428
  • zf tool and macca 005 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 005 (600 x 450).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 404
  • zf tool and macca 006 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 006 (600 x 450).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 442
  • zf tool and macca 007 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 007 (600 x 450).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 427
  • zf tool and macca 008 (600 x 450).jpg
    zf tool and macca 008 (600 x 450).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 419

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Impressive tool you have Ross....;-)

Very nice! So you must have a threaded rod that you screw in the end for the pull force?

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the time taken to post the pics.

Ok, so in the mean time, I tore into it over this last weekend. I used Ron's approach. No issues. Should be going back together this weekend. Forunately, the bearings look nice, so I won't have to beg to borrow your tool Ross. ;-)

Ron McCall

Supporter
VintageVenom said:

Very nice! So you must have a threaded rod that you screw in the end for the pull force?

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the time taken to post the pics.

Ok, so in the mean time, I tore into it over this last weekend. I used Ron's approach. No issues. Should be going back together this weekend. Forunately, the bearings look nice, so I won't have to beg to borrow your tool Ross. ;-)

Glad it worked out Rob.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
VintageVenom said:

I use the porta power hydraulic pump. It threads into the hole and pushes against the shaft. Good to hear you've gone ahead with Rons' way. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. I really enjoy learning of different ways to do things. Incidentally those side bearings are a lot cheaper than the one behind the pinion bearing. After spending a lot of time and money
replacing bearings and gear ratios in my old ZF, I have to say I'm very happy with the new one.
Ross

Back