World Products Custom 302 blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
FORD BUILDERS! A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO BUY A SPECIAL BLOCK
World products has created a special Man O’War Windsor block to allow major displacement in the 302, 8.2 deck size with 2.749” mains.
This block is a special casting with unique features. It allows strokes larger than 3.470 in this small package. It can do this because the oil pump boss has been cast in the 9.5 deck, 351 location which moves it out of the way of larger strokes. In fact, a 4.250” stroke will actually swing in the crankcase, however piston compression height precludes such extremes.
Further advantages are that with this combination, a 351 oil pump, drive rod, pan and distributor must be used.
All the other great World features are in this block. Features like priority main oiling, dry sump compatible, billet splayed four-bolt main caps and improved cooling jackets. This block also has the World exclusive six-bolt head attachment for boosted or nitrous oxide applications. It mates perfectly with World’s six-bolt 10˚ aluminum cylinder head.
Did we mention that this is the famous block design that won the 2006 Engine Masters Challenge?
These are brand-new, first quality blocks, and if you order now you get FREE FREIGHT!
Call the Sales guys at The Engine Shop and ask about part number 087121C to order now.
Cblockpromo1-12.jpg

Keith

That's a nice looking part and, it appears, already deflashed and deburred for you.....rockonsmile

What's the sensible limit on cubes for this block?

Gents,
Sorry for the delay in answering, was away yesterday.
Ron,
No, not aluminum. Ally, was planned when we hatched the iron version, if we saw demand for it, we could do it. Ally coming for our 3.470 stroke, 349 and 371 inch versions.
chuck,
Yes, 2k more on the "standard" aluminum blocks, just no version for this block.
jac,
For our Aussie friends (and we have many), there are two ways: Free freight to California and you are responsible for overseas shipper arrangements and costs;or you can order from Rocket or VPW, our two Austrailian dealers.
Keith,
Thanks for the kind words, it is pretty. Max bore recommendation is 4.200 (.200 between bores remaining) so with a 3.500 stroke for example, you're at 388. We use a 5.400 Eagle with our 3.470, 371 crate.
I spoke to our Sales Manager and got this deal for GT40 and Club Cobra members: 15% off the price shown on the Engine Shop site plus free shipping in the Continental US. Our UK and other non-domestic friends can order from dealers (found in our dealer locator on the site) or as described to jac mac above. Some fresh snaps:
3-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Thanks Ron. We had two completed 460's yesterday for shipment to Australia. One dynoed 633, the other 641-that on a 600 HP-rated "number". I think the 28 degree LI weather is good for 6-8HP alone but they've steadily been above 618 or so.
We'll soon have our own one piece IR intake for the 4500 and we can elimanate the Victor and adapter.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Chuck, I'm wondering how much machining is necessary on your blocks as delivered (other than final boring & honing of the cyllinders)--they sure look good as-is, but in my experience there is always something that needs tweaking. Will they accommodate solid roller cams/lifters?

Doug

YerDugliness said:
Chuck, I'm wondering how much machining is necessary on your blocks as delivered (other than final boring & honing of the cyllinders)--they sure look good as-is, but in my experience there is always something that needs tweaking. Will they accommodate solid roller cams/lifters?

Doug

Doug,
From the Man O'War spec sheet:

"Note: “C” designates 8.200 - 302 blocks, which require 351 style pan, pickup and pump and distributor shaft modification.

Block Applications: The Man O’War blocks are designed to be a replacement for the small block Ford one piece seal applications, with dipstick located in timing cover. On rear pan seal it will be necessary to snip off nubs on ends of gasket so that it will fit flush against block.
Block Material: High density Cast iron
Deck Height: 8.200, 9.200 or 9.500 (depending on part number)
Deck Thickness: Approximately .600
Cam Bearings: Standard Small Block Ford Cam bearings or Clevite # SH510S or Durabond # F-18. These fit 8.2, 9.2 or 9.5 deck blocks. Note: When installing cam bearings MAKE SURE the oil hole in the bearings is inline with the oil feed hole to the main bearings.
Main Bearings: Utilizes 2.248 or 2.749 Ford style main bearings. (Depending on main size of block) All blocks regardless of main journal size utilize a one piece rear main seal such as a Fel-Pro MS590 (for 2.248 size) or MS1010 (for 2.749 size) or equivalent.
Main Caps: All five main caps are four bolt billet caps with the center three being of the splayed design. The inner row of bolts are ½ inch thread, the outer row of bolts are 7/16 thread, and the outer 4 corner bolts are 3/8 thread. Torque specs on main bolts are: 105 ft. lbs. inner and 65 ft. lbs. outer and 35 ft. lbs. on the outer 4 corner bolts with oil.
Lifter Bores: Indexed (Lifter bore size is standard Ford diameter .8750)
Maximum Bore: All blocks can be bored safely to a maximum of 4.200
Cylinder Bores: Cylinder bores are of a siamese design. Because of increased wall thickness, no steam holes are needed for street use.
Cylinder Wall Thickness: @ 4.200 bore cylinder wall thickness will be .200
Head gaskets: Must use Fel-Pro # 1031L and 1031R or equivalent to ensure water jacket coverage.
Water Jackets: Expanded for better cooling.
Gear Drives & Belt Drives: Due to the expanded water jackets, it is not recommended to run gear drives because of clearance issues with the backside of the idler gears and the cylinder block in the timing cover area. Jesel belt drives will work with minor grinding of the block and/ or belt drive cover.
Lubrication: There are 2 oil scavenge holes. One hole each is located on both front and back of block but will need special hardware. (13/16 AN) We recommend 20W-50 oil.
Oil System Features: As is, block is set up for OE style internal oil pump. Block has provisions to be converted to a dry sump oiling system. (On “C” blocks you must use 351 style oil pan, pump, pick up, and distributor but have the oil pump drive rod cut to length.)
Oil Restrictors: Man O’War blocks use oil restrictors special to the block, part # 832665-2. If feeding engine from the front there is only one restrictor needed on front of block. If engine is rear fed you will need 2 restrictors on back of the block.
Filtration: Integral mount for spin on filter
Oil Pan Rails: Solid (stock width) clearanced for 4.250 stroke with steel rods. Splayed cap blocks may have oil pan interference with the front and rear main caps. It may be necessary to hand fit the oil pan.
Clearance: Man O’War blocks can handle up to a 4.250 inch stroke with a 6.300 inch steel H-beam style connecting rod.
Camshaft: In long rod and stroker combinations it is recommended to use a camshaft with a small base circle.
Fuel Pump: Uses stock style fuel pump and stock length fuel pump pushrod.
Starter: Starter mounting pad is drilled for standard bolt patterns.
Motor Mounts: Drilled and tapped for side mounts in OEM locations.
Cylinder Head Bolt Holes: Threads are ½” diameter. Head bolt holes are blind tapped and do not extend into the water jackets. Threads are recessed ½” below the deck for greater clamping loads. Bolts or studs need to be ½ “ longer than stock. (FOR 9.500 DECK BLOCKS, World #’s 832585 for bolts and # 832552 for studs). IT IS THE BUILDER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO DETERMINE WHAT BOLTS OR STUDS USED HAVE THE PROPER ENGAGEMENT TO PREVENT STRIPPING THE THREADS.

Definitions and Dimensions:
Bare Block
Due to a vast difference of opinion among professional builders regarding specifications and procedures, all blocks, when purchased bare, are finished within Ford +/- tolerances. Blocks are supplied with the following specs:
Deck Height: 8.205, 9.205 or 9.505 +/- .005.
Cylinder Bore: 3.990 or 4.115 +/- .005.
Main Journals: 2.248 : 2.4416 +/- .0005.** 2.749 : 2.9421 +/- .0005.** 3.000 : 3.1926 +/- .0005.
Lifter Bores: .8750 +/- .0005.
Stroke Notch: 8.200 – 3.500. 9.200 & 9.500 – 4.250.
It is the responsibility of the engine builder to finish the block to his or the end user’s preferences. Freeze plugs, oil galley plugs and cam bearings are not included or installed. However, stock Ford hardware can be used except freeze plugs which measure 1 5/8 inch.
Prepped Block
Man O’War blocks when purchased prepped, will be sized to the above specs with the following exception: Cylinder Bores: 4.000, 4.125 or 4.155. All prepped blocks will be painted and have dowel pins, freeze plugs, cam bearings and oil galley plugs installed. The block will just need a final cleaning and be ready for assembly (due to anti-rust applied). "

To add to that, the cam tunnels can be bored for up to 60mm roller bearing cams, which we do as an option. Most of this will hold true for the aluminum blocks (non-C-Block) too.
Yes, solid rollers are fine.
Hope this post is not too long.
Chas

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chas,

I am interested in the extra two head bolt holes per cylinder. I assume that their presence does not preculde the use of other aftermarket heads that do not utilize them; is this true? To your knowledge, is anyone else, besides World Products, making heads that do utilize these extra bolt holes?

I'm also a bit curious about the timing drive, as it sounds like you are saying a traditional timing chain, either double or single roller, won't work with the block design. With modifications some belt drives will work. As for gear drives, will either the dual (dog bone style) idler or a single idler setups work (like Pete Jackson vs Milodan)?

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn,
Any aftermarket (or OE, for that matter) head can be used on our blocks. The additional bosses are at 12:00 and 6:00 positions as shown in the pictures. We build all our crates with our "conventional" Windsor Jr. and Sr. heads. When the new heads are available we'll use them. Our new 18 degree head is a 4-bolt per cylinder attachment. FelPro is currently making a 6-bolt head gasket for us. To our knowledge, no one else is doing SBF 6-bolt heads. Canfield and Edelbrock as well as GM are rumored to be working on 6-bolt LS heads to compete with our Warhawk LS7X design.

All of our Man O'War blocks employ standard Windsor cam locations. There is no need for custom work and any OE or aftermarket single or double roller chain and drive design (what we use in our crates) is fine.

I'm sorry we have no data on gear drives as we have not built one as such. Again, I think if something fits OE, then it fits ours.
Hope this helps.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chas,

On the gear drives thing: Duhhh, I musta had a brain fart as I totally misread that section and had it bass ackwards.

Sorry,
Lynn

Thanx for info on heads & 6 bolt design. Not too many GT40s w/nitrous but there are a few with turbos.

Lynn,
I was the prototype for the concept "senior moment"...
When we build crates with the 10 degree head, they will be very aggressively cammed and carbed (or EFI'ed) N/A, so they're not just for power adders.
We've seen flows up around 380 @ .800 as-cast, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back