Porsche 930 g/box info

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Paul,

My 930 is a cable operated clutch, which many of them (all?) are. You can convert it to a hydraluic assembly easily. PowerHaus (not sure if that is spelled right) uses a little MG slave cylinder to do this and taps two studs in the case to hold it. I bought the slave but haven't tapped the holes yet, however, it looks straightforward because the casting rib you tap is really thick. Easily you can put a 1/4-20 stud in there and that will be plenty to hold it. You can see some pictures of what that looks like the the RCR section where someone asked about Sandy's box.

My Lola work is just starting back up today with the front part of the car but I won't be messing with the transaxle until Kennedy/RCR has the pieces for that to ship to me.

Ron

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

I think that is all they did, but not sure. The slave is an Austin Healy I think, likely the same as an MG. I think the arm needs to be modded too, bit looks simple.

Sandy

Ron Earp

Admin
Opps, MG Midget / Sprite right? $75 new at the auto parts store. Mine looks the same as yours but I'd forgotten the model car.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

I'm not sure, but I think it is from a couple of those type of cars. I was looking on line but not 100% sure if the same, but they do look the same just figured let them PowerHausII put them on was about 100 bucks so likely could be had for about 50 :). One thing is that the bolt hole are blind in the case, i.e., not tapped all the way into the case. My preference would have been to use a wilwood or other aftermarked slave but this should work... hopefully ;)

Sandy

I was just looking on ebay at slave cylinders, and they had all types from Toyotas. Hondas, BMWs etc. I would like to know which ones are the ones that should be considered. Prices are reasonable there, and some are buy it now prices that seem O K. Anyone with info on what to look for? Mine will probably be side mounted with bracket to the trans for support.
Which are pull and which are push? would help with the placement of the cylinder, and which side of the shaft to mount. Just need some direction. Thanks.

Bill

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The boxes that PHII did had some machine work to make the slave sit flat on the top. They also used studs in the case not bolts to hold the slave on.

One thing that was a fluke that I found while cleaning the garage today was the mustang clutch slave conversion that was done on the 65' Mustang TKO trans used a CNC clutch slave. It looks like they did a modern version of the Austin Healy, the bolt holes are a bit larger diameter in the CNC but it would drop right on. I think they were around 60 bucks when I replaced mine with a different sized unit. This is a push unit as well, they also have an adjustable push rod I think.

Take a look at it here -

CNC, Inc. - Slave Cylinders

Sandy

Back