Borrani wheels for an SPF MK1

I have a set of borrani wheels that I didn't sell with my ferrari. The fronts are 8"x15' and the rears are 9"x15" with #42 hubs. Does anybody have any pics of a splined original gt40 hubs or for that matter any information at all on the early borrani- gt40 config. I would like to make an adapter to fit the borrani splined hubs to a spf mk1..........Thanks, Rick

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I think it will take some work as the hubs have the pin drives and no splines. I went through this with P1116, the owner bought the Borranis off Chris McAllisters car (1056 I think) and then discovered we could not fit them without having new (and expensive) hubs made.

But it CAN be done....

Rick

I am guessing but those wires were never meant to hold up to the kind of torque that a modern(or period for that matter). Which is why when the cars were raced they quickly switched to a solid aluminum or magnesium wheel.

Thanks for the input. I know a few ferrari guys that deal in parts cars. I will begin looking for a set of donnor hubs. It seems much cheaper and easier to start with a set of hubs and then decide how to adapt to spf hubs or axel shafts. Any other ideas would be appreciated............Rick

As far as using mag or alum. wheels over borrani wires in the racing arena, you are correct, however very few of the continuation or replica cars will ever see a race track including mine. I'm trying to achieve the original look and I just happen to have a set of beautiful borranis. This is my intent.

Front hub from my car

regards

Chris Melia.

Attachments

• My Hubs.jpg
    My Hubs.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Thanks for the picture Chris! Here come the questions. Will a pin drive BRM wheel clear the slines and borrani rear locating register and still locate itself with the three eared knock off or is this a pin drive hub thats been modified by grafting a splined hub to a pin drive hub for a borrani only??? What is it and where can I get a set? Thanks, Rick..........Incidently there was just enough meat in your valve covers to machine them to fit probe shaft rockers on AFR heads. (.080 left ) It's enough.........Rick

Hi Rick

The hub in the picture is an original GT40 hub without modification, the BRM original wheels fit straight on and clear the spline and the register. I think original hubs maybe hard to find, I may be able to help but will have to check some dimensions first.

Thanks for the info on the Gurney Weslake valve covers, you are obviously a car guy?

regards

Chris

Chris, Thanks for your help. Is there any chance the original manufacturer or supplier is still around? maybe somebody has some dimensional drawings? Again, thanks for your imput.....................Rick

Back