SPF - the cars leak in the rain

I thought I would follow up on this discussion from a while back. I had my car parked in the rain today (I couldn't move it because the alternator died - see another thread on that issue). I closed the car while it rained moderately for about 10-15 minutes. I could see water getting into the cockpit are via the top of the doors. I also had water enter through the top of the side window seams (there is no seal there - just the plastic window against the door).

Someone once asked if the car could be driven in the rain....probably so, but you would be getting some nice drippage on your head and down your back.

Mike

there is no gasket around the side window? it is an easy fix. I would think the door gasket could be fixed also. I get a small drop or two in my side window opening when washing the car but not while driving in the rain. I also get a little seeping in from the front of the door, the tires throw up a lot of water at that seam between the body and the mono.

I agree that it is all fixable - just requires a little work. The side windows could use a silicone bead or a thin foam gasketing material. The door - just a thicker door seal.

This was with the car sitting in the rain - not yet sure what the issues might be with driving in the wet.

Mike

Chuck, I am not sure. If anything, it seems to me the doors need to be adjusted a hair higher in the back to stop them from scraping the spider roof when opening and shutting them. This would seem to make the issue worse.

I can see a little daylight out of the pax seat in the lower aft corner. I am thinking a larger diameter seal all around might work best.

I didn't spend too much time looking at it though...

Mike

probably correct. If the door seal will come off easily ,you might try first putting down a strip of plain weatherstripping about 1/4 inch thick and then putting the original weatherstripping over that, thus raising it 1/4 inch. This would look stock

Guys, SteveC is trying some original style door rubber seals that I have sent over from the UK, which will be fitted at Olthoffs. Ask if that has helped !

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Frank, Visited Dennis and my car this past Friday....Car looks great (fit out about 80% complete...(expect delivery late June)...Dennis is doing much custom (suprises will follow when he is ready to release the info)...No doubt that yours and Dennis' work show a love for these cars and technical abilities that are not often found elsewhere.....Re door seals: my car drivers door doesn't appear to have door to roof gap..passenger door was off for fit-up but, dennis says it's OK too...I will wait till I get car home and evaluate need for the "original seal" and report..... Steve SPF P2125 (w/FE)

Having driven the thing in the rain and once in the snow, I realized that I wanted a little better sealing on the front of the car. I started by making some sheetmetal to seal the nostrils to the radiator(to keep the front cover from lifting) and then I added more to seal the entire front hood to the chassis. The last step was to build the boxes(inside the nose) to seal alongside the cockpit (to keep put debris and noise from the front of the doors). My car seals fine at the top and I have adjusted the seals along the front of the doors and plugged numerous holes in the firewall and now the car is probably as weatherproof as you can make a GT40.
It is nice to drive it and not have the tires throwing up crap on top of the cowl and into the doors.

Attachments

• PICT1110.JPG
    PICT1110.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 487
  • PICT1111.JPG
    PICT1111.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 477
  • PICT1112.JPG
    PICT1112.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 494
Back