Starter Motor

I'm in two minds whether to put this in Engines, but as it's a mechanical/electrical problem, it's going into electrics.

I have a problem with the pre-engagement solenoid in my starter motor. Normally, it engages and the starter spins the engine merrily until it fires.
Occasionally, usually when it's hot (and at the most inconvenient moment), the solenoid clicks and the starter doesn't engage.
This isn't a battery problem, as the starter spins quickly as soon as the solenoid can be persuaded to close properly.
My question is - Are the standard Ford starter motor solenoids dismantle-able and are parts available in the UK?
I hope it's just muck in the solenoid, jamming it up occasionally, but does anyone have experience of taking them apart?

Regards,
Tony Hunt

I had his problem recently on my CAV solenoid and it turned out to be internal corrosion on the terminals. I removed it and sprayed WD40 in through the starter to solenoid screw holes and after a few clicks it came right and has been ok since. The securing screws have sealant on the taper which wears off allowing moisture to seep in.

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 418

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tony, I don't know if it's the same unit on mine but you can use it until you sort yours out. I think it's out of the car at the momet.

Hi Tony,Ford starter motors are easy to dismantle and rather easy to assemble.But a Ford usa starter does not have a starter solenoid.The drive gear is put forward by one pole from the magnetic field which clics into the starter when it receives power.crude but it works.greetings Emiel

Thank you for your detailed responses, gentlemen.
I don't propose to do anything immediately, as the problem is still intermittent and surmountable. But as the season will end in the next couple of months, I'll take it down over the winter and fix it for next Spring.
Many thanks,

Tony Hunt

Back