917 - Just watched Lemans again...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
All I can say is that it is one of the best movies made and I'm so glad that the petition to put it on DVD worked... I never did figure out what year they were supposedly portraying in the movie.. I thought I caught one glimpse of a GT40-MK3 but was probably fooled..

Oh the SOUNDS from that movie.... Incredible!!!

I would SO much love to pilot a 917 - but I fear that at my height - that will never come to pass..

So Fran - Just how tall of a pilot can fit in your new monocoque tubbed 917?

Any new pictures???

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Randy,
I just got back from Minneapolis, MN! I have a friend up there doing insurance adjusting from the big storms that hit Mora and that area. PM me when you get a chance, I have a question to ask you.

Back on topic...
I think Fran said it should be able to fit people about 6'2" or so. That's how tall I am so I think that was my only concern. Haha I may be wrong though, we'll see when he answers.

Laters,

Brian

Randy

The movie didn't " portray " 1970....much of the footage was of the actual 1970 race !
Like Grand Prix, the cost logistics and insurance restrictions would prevent a remake involving
the actual race.

To hardcore gearheads, Lemans is great....the vintage cars, sounds, drivers, etc.
But to most others, it's a bore...no script....just Steve McQueen having fun.

MikeD

[snip]
To hardcore gearheads, Lemans is great....the vintage cars, sounds, drivers, etc.
But to most others, it's a bore...no script....just Steve McQueen having fun.

MikeD

Yes - absolutely no plot and no memorable dialogue, but still tense and entertaining. I guess I'm a hardcore gearhead.

A wonderful film for all us gearheads.

The only problem is that it wasn't made a year earlier so that the GT40 could have stared in it.

My son who has just turned 3 watches LeMans at least once a day. I also recently bought, ahem cough cough, him aslot car set for his birthday - complete with a Michael Delaney Gulf Porsche 917 car. Again, all for him of course.

Jack

Cheers for Steve Mcqueen!

Really just a car guy like us--just happened to act in a few movies...Love the seminal motorbike film "On Any Sunday" as well.I even like the corny music...

Eric

Wonderful movie. Undoubtedly the best vintage (now at least!) gearhead movie of the time. It would be unlikely that a similarly impressive, and accurate, collection of 1970 vintage Le Mans cars could ever be assembled again and run in that fashion. If I'm not mistaken, one way to further confirm that the movie is 1970 or later is the movie-staged start was not the classic Le Mans style running-on-foot start but rather the driver-in-car start now used since 1970.

Love the funky 70's music and cinematography!

It's 1970

You see the tri colour flag being unfurled by Ferry Porsche with "1970" emblazoned on it and the angled standing start was used only in 1970 if I'm correct.

The opening scene with the picturesque French countryside is quite nice.

Eric

Definitely 1970 .... I was there and took cine film of the race which includes footage of the Solar Productions Porsche film car and the Gulf 917s.

GT.

Paul,

You're right that would be tough!

I think that Ferry misses out.The old man "The Professor" always gets the credit,but Ferry really deserves credit for molding Porsche into the entity that we now know and respect.

If Porsche and Ferry( as well as Piech )had not tossed thier hat into the ring, our sport would never have been as exciting and interesting as it was.After all the gt40 legend would never have been as special had serious competition not come out to play.

This passion and commitment is somewhat lacking in motorsport today.(Or the generation gap has hit me finally...Haha)

Eric

My son (now 4) loves Le Mans too. Has to put up with the Scalectrix GT40 set and my Fly T70, though.

The only thing I dislike about the movie (apart from the non-racing scenes - which I edited out on my 'special' version) was that all the Lolas were spinning and/or were Delaney's car's underpants!

Last edited:
The only thing I dislike about the movie (apart from the non-racing scenes - which I edited out on my 'special' version) was that all the Lolas were spinning and/or were Delaney's car's underpants!

So very true...

Attachments

• Bild15.jpg
    Bild15.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 475
  • sticker.JPG
    sticker.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 461
Hi
Disagree with the memorable dialogue comment. There's lots to remember..
eg. Steve - Now dont be a pain in the ass Eric.
Also. Steve - The bit in the caravan about There's waiting and there's racing.

I like the scene were they're unloading the Ferrari from the transporter and you hear the French national anthem while a track announcer outlines the LeMans regulations,etc. Im sure the narration is fake but necessary to educate non racing viewers...Pretty cool.

That yellow corvette is really giving it a go!! Is that a Greder car?

Eric Johnson

Back