34th mid america ford & shelby meet

Hey Jack,

I'll be there in my Cobra. If you see me stop by and say Hi.

cobra89.jpg

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Will do! My friends who have Mk2's are trying to make it also. Where are you staying? Any suggestions on hotels?

Last edited:
I am staying at the Marriott but I booked it last december to get the event rate. I think they still have some rooms but it will be at a much higher rate. The Hilton is about a mile down the street and take a lot of overflow from this event. But this year it will be bigger than most so hotels may be sold out.

There are about 15 of us from Dallas going up and we set up compound in the southwest corner of the hotel parking lot. I have a white enclosed trailer and will be flying the Texas and American flags off the back. Usually pretty easy to find. "Little Texas" has gotten famous at this event.

See Ya in a couple of weeks

I will be there. I will be in the last car port before you head down the hill. I did have a business conflict so I won't be there until friday afternoon.

Hey Dean, If you remember I would still like a copy of all your build pics. I dont really have a build manual for my car so I use pics of everyone elses car as my build manual. If not I would like to shoot a few hundred :) photos of everything on your car.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I hope to see all of you there. I think I started going to this event in 1976 or so but have been absent for several years. I remeber Jim WIcks calling and asking if I would come to his new event in Tulsa. It was a motel parking lot event back then. I don't think they need to invite anyone anymore. It's time to get back into the event.

Hallett isn't really a GT40 type of track. It is the track where I learned about off throttle oversteer when a 427SC and I danced nose to nose and he was going in the right direction. I've never gone backwards that fast ever again.

It's also the track that I experienced a real GT40 at speed for the first time. Frank it was #105. The Willment Coupe visited there over the years as well which I later found out was the car that Dennis Olthoff's father had campaigned all over Euroupe and Africa. It really is a small world.

In probably 1980ish there was a gentleman(can't remember his name) from Texas that had an original yellow Mark II there. I remember looking in my rear view coming through the freeway sign corner saying to myself "don't screw up now".

I fell totally in love with the Mark II that day and dreamed about some day having one. Now I have one, thank you Lord. It will not be there this year but I have promised Jack that it will be there next year along with Kirby's and Jack's Mark I. Can't wait to see and hear Dean's and John's cars. Hey, I'm getting excited.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Really look forward to meeting everyone also its been many years since I have been to a tract event. In fact the last event Mike and I were at was when I lived in Florida and we seen a CAV GT40 with a 427 crash right in front of us at Moroso (9 years ago). I am still a little shook over that. Mike and I look a lot alike, but you can really tell the difference when we speak, he is intelligent one. :)

Were there any 1960's built Ford GT40 cars at the event? Did you hear how many cars or people were in attendance there?

Back