RCR33 and GT40 1051 meet on the track.

Unbelievable is all I can say!!!!rockonsmile

I was asked to attend and invitational event for exotics at Putnam Park Indiana. (thats where I had my incident last month) This was an event for experienced drivers and high end cars. My brother knew the organizer and he overestimated my ability enough to get me an invitation! The rumor was that an original GT40 was going to attend. Well, it was true. Man, what can I say. The guy that drove it was really nice. Someone said he had driven his McLaren at Le Mans twice! He was nice enough to let me sit in it and ask a bunch of questions. He even came over to check out the RCR. He was really impressed with the quality of the product. I asked him if he would mind letting me follow him for a lap so we could get a little video and maybe some pictures. He said that he would be happy to do a pace lap with me. I told him how much I would appreciate that and after one lap he could just take off and I would fade into the distance. Well...............

The first lap was pretty fast for a pace lap. I stayed right up with him for the photos. Then he took off and I was able to stay with him for the second lap. It was a lot of fun. We passed the Lambo, a couple of Porsche's and a handful of ZO6's. This guy was fast but I was clearly braking later and carrying more speed in the corners. I was feeling pretty good so I came in closer on the third lap. As we took the last corner onto the front straight I was so close I thought we were going to touch! That would have been costly. I took the inside and we had a drag race to the first turn. At 150mph I wasn't comfortable looking at the speedo side by side with a car like this with a 90 degree turn coming up fast. I knew I could out brake him so I just stayed on the floor until he lifted and HE HAD TO LET ME PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a day! I never thought I would get to sit in a real GT40 much less get to drive on the track with one and run one into a corner at race speed and win!

Well, I just wanted to share. The scary thing is...... I think there is more in my car than I am getting know.

41 (Small).JPG

38 (Small).JPG

39 (Small).JPG

Its great to hear that the two of you are running so well. Keep up the reports, I like to hear what you are doing. There are few that run their car so hard, I am trying, but have a lot to learn before I would get on the track and mix it up as you describe. GO Dean!! Tell us how we can view video please.
Randy

Thanks guys. It was definitely a great experience. I think it sounds more dramatic than it was but it was a blast! The reality is I had much more hp and bigger brakes and I would have put my car into the wall to beat him. I don't think he was nearly that concerned with me. He was a super guy. The video isn't that good and that is being kind. My brother was doing the tapping. When I get back from vacation I will try to open a you tube account and get it posted. The two cars do sound pretty ferocious coming down the straight.

i know that guy. Great guy. Blind since birth. Uses audible sensors at braking points and turn in...

So Johan, What your really saying is that with all that extra HP & bigger brakes etc that Deane only just managed to pass a Blind guy in an original GT40, Wow that certainly puts things in perspective! :):)

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Whoooo Dean.....that puts your feet back on the ground. Eh buddy.....:uneasy:

Leave it to JacMac to put things in perspective.:laugh:

Dean, that's great! What an experience and one I would never forget. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Wow!

Did you get to talk to him afterward? Did he tell you how thrilled he was that you were dicing with him? Did he know you were racing him?

I hope I'm misunderstanding what happened out there. But it seems to me that, in the best case, you got a serious case of the red mist out on the track, and in the worst case, you did the kit-car equivalent of a ricer flyby and put an original GT40, as well as yourself, at considerable risk. You told the owner you would follow him around for a lap and then fade away, but instead you went wheel-to-wheel with him in a corner, dive-bombed him into the next after a long straight, and that you were ready to ball up your car to get out in front of him. This was an HPDE event, and not a race, right?

Maybe I'm misreading your post but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a pissed-off owner of an original GT40 out there.

Back