Jaguar XKR Engine/Transmission

Ron Earp

Admin
I've a question, mainly aimed at our UK fellow members.

I'm helping someone out with a Jaguar XKR engine for a project race car and am wondering if this engine came with a manual transmission in Europe. In the US it came with either a 5 speed or 6 speed automatic only. Did you folks get a manual transmission for this car at all?

Or, does anyone know the particulars about the block so that it might be adapted to a manual tranny? I've a feeling it shares a block with a V6 European Ford motor but am unsure which one.

Ron,
The XKR is Auto only. If it is the new one then it comes with a tiptronic box.

The Jag V8 is its own engine and was designed by Jag and is built only for them in Bridgend. Mail me any specifics and I can see if I can ask around over here, provided they are still allowed to talk to us now that we've sold them....

Brett

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm looking at the motor that came in the 98-03 XKR. It is fairly unique but that block is used in other Ford products. For instance the AJ30/AJ35 variant was produced in Ohio and used in these cars:

The pistons, crank, etc. are different in this version but many pieces are shared. But none of these cars here in the US got a manual transmission version either.

I think, but I'm making a guess here, that the V6 that came in the Lincoln LS shares something with this motor, namely the block design. The V6 came with a manual transmission. So if it is true the blocks share identical patterns then we could make a bit of progress in started to mate a manual to one of these motors.

I've seen an early (prototype?) XKR that had a Mercedes box in it. I think it was a manual and had been fitted as the 'tweeked' supercharged motor was breaking the originally planned unit.

I think this was all Jag installed, but will check with DaveParker when he returns from hols next week as he had it in his workshop a while back.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Paul,

That would be excellent, thanks much. How is Dave doing? Still riding your moto a lot? I'm on mine quite a bit now - with gas at $4.45 a gallon and it getting 56-58 miles per gallon it turns out to be quite the efficient transport.

Ron

Hi Ron -
Dave's R42 seems to be intermittant at the moment. In addition to the improved manifold/injectors, we've just fitted a new 64-1 tooth timing wheel to it and a new pickup (which was faulty) so the old one went back on for AMOC Sprint. It however was 'intermittent' - when it worked - it went like a dream - when it did'nt, it popped and banged like an pig and he broke a driveshaft.. doh! - Oh and his tow vehicle blew its turbo about 5 miles short of Goodwood - not a good day!..:embarassed:

Still riding the bike lots, did 1750+ miles last week on a trip up north - and solo, sitting at 85-90mph it averaged over 50mpg!!:shocked: Even two up for 800 miles it managed high 40s.... very pleased - although it now has some 8200 miles on it (13mths old). Looking now at a nice 1550cc conversion, flowed head, Yosh cams and Akrapovic exhaust that combined lifts rwhp to about 155Bhp and torque to 115-120ft/lbs...:drunk: mmmm....

Gonna try Nadine's R1 and Buell 1125 lightning when I'm next visiting her...

Sorry for thread drift - I'll get back to you once Dave gets back regarding the trans details..

Ron Earp

Admin
I know, I should not complain about gas prices as I know what you and my other European friends are paying......in Germany it was like $9.25 a gallon the last time I heard......

Sounds like you are living it up on your bike, you've got more miles on yours than I do! Dang ol danglee, that is some serious power there out of that machine. You're not going to be impressed with Nadie's Buell I don't think, only so much an air cooled twin can do ya know.....holy sheet, 155 rwhp is right there in the "super jap four" territory which would be more fun on a standard bike, as you already know....

One forum member indicated that the motor shared a common bolt pattern with the Lincoln LS V6, but need clarification on that. If that is the case then there are bolt up transmission available although the power handling might be in question.

Back