Sneek peek..

Here is a sample of some of the materials that are going to be used in our chassis .....we have been testing it already and will be implimenting it very soon in some track cars...:thumbsup:......
Carbon fibre/Aluminum core honeycomb in a customers 904..and maybe a Superlite derivative

Attachments

• S7301708.jpg
    S7301708.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 712
  • S7301707.jpg
    S7301707.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 609
  • S7301706.jpg
    S7301706.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Re: Sneek peek..honeycomb

Are you going to use this to make the chassis monocoque. That is how the Mosler chassis is made.

Well that is neither a yea or a nea, as to using this for the chassis, but it is encouraging.:thumbsup:

I will give it up to you Fran. You never marry yourself to one idea, process or method, though that would certainly be more economical (see the Ultima for the opposite approach).

Girf.
Thanks
my goal with RCR and SL is to raise the bar and have people drop the whole "kit car" moniker...
We manufacture hand built sportscars ...no different than cars costing significantly more money and with longer lead times...

My dillusions of grandeur are to establish the company as a respected manufacturer in more than one genre....nothing ventured ...nothing gained....if I dont succeed it will not be for the lack of trying...that is a fact.

As for a monocoque.....I have one already....why do two..:rolleyes:

The honeycomb fabrication technique has already proven to have huge potential...and as the materials are manufactured domestically price/supply is not an issue...

The Ultima fits the needs of the guys that buy them....they have been around a long time and people love them....there is room for everyone.

For years I've had a piece of cabinet from the inside of a Lear Jet in my lab .... cracks me up, it's a very thin laminate of wood over honeycomb. Looks like walnut, weighs like balsa. Can't seem to toss it out - it's just too cool.

Monocoque this, honeycomb that..... what I want to know is what up with the black SLC with the green flame decals?

Hi Fran,

Speaking of colors.......do you have any "color cards" for the SL-C gelcoat colors available that you could post here or your website? Black is always nice though!

Finally the irony of "sneek peek" catches on....

Thats the Run and Gun car......wait until you see it on its wheels.....Yeah Baby....

Its a subtle blend in graphic scheme ......yeah right...maximum attack on the eyeballs

Thats the material we used on aircraft interiors in corporate and privet jets. Very strong and light. They make a similar material that is highly fire retardent. It can also be curved to make radius corners. We would fabricate the panels and then venier them with some of the finest woods in the world. We did an interior on a Bell 214 for the King of Brunei. Everything was birdseye maple and gold. Unbelievable, Of course cost was no object. The sinks, toilets and showers were always gold. Not gold plate. Many of the aircraft would come with guards to make sure nothing was stolen.

Girf.
my goal with RCR and SL is to raise the bar and have people drop the whole "kit car" moniker...
We manufacture hand built sportscars ...no different than cars costing significantly more money and with longer lead times...

Hand assembled supercars :thumbsup:

Fran, nice stuff the carbon skin honeycomb. As you probably know, the origin of this stuff is the old aluminum skinned panels (used extensively by Boeing and other aircraft mfg's). A confidential source has done some testing on this material for a very large buyer of planes utilizing this material. Initial results indicate that while the aluminum skin version is quite resistent to water intrusion through extensive cycling, that's not the case with the carbon skin. Obviously, not good to have moisture in the cells, and, the moisture accelerates the deterioration of the resin bond between the honeycomb and the skin. You would think the carbon skin is waterproof.....and it is.....until it goes through a whole lot of cycling under some load while in the presence of water/moisture. I would guess that an additional coating on the carbon skin would improve things but don't really know much about that. Just thought I'd mention it if you're planning on using it in stressed areas exposed to the weather.

Small world when I was in college I worked for a caterer and worked a party at a mansion on Jupiter Island for the unveiling of the first Mosler.

Did that party happen to be at Tom Davis' house? He used to race Ferrari GTo and GTU with Warren Mosler as a driving team mate. They were both friends with my dad when he lived here in FL. I have a friend who used to be an engineer at Mosler, interesting guy with lots of technical info.
BT

For years I've had a piece of cabinet from the inside of a Lear Jet in my lab .... cracks me up, it's a very thin laminate of wood over honeycomb. Looks like walnut, weighs like balsa. Can't seem to toss it out - it's just too cool.

Monocoque this, honeycomb that..... what I want to know is what up with the black SLC with the green flame decals?

SO are you saying you dont like the green decal's? Trust me when I say it looks awesome! Why have a car that totally stands out from other's in every way possible and put your typical race car colors on it?

SO are you saying you dont like the green decal's? Trust me when I say it looks awesome! Why have a car that totally stands out from other's in every way possible and put your typical race car colors on it?

Yeah, I can't say its my cup of tea, but it really doesn't look bad at all.

Back