Fuel system suggestions

I am looking to start plumbing up the fuel system. I am running EFI. I currently have twin pumps and a solenoid operated selector. Other than staring at the chassis and unboxing the sending units that came from RCR, I have not done anything. I am not running fuel cells or foam, just regular tanks.

I am concerned about surging and running the pumps dry. I know this can be a problem. Many have done a surge tank, often with lower pressure pumps supplying the surge tank.

Any recommendations?

Also, crazy though it sounds, the whole make your own fuel system thing is new to me. Each tank needs a breather/check valve, correct? That should give you an idea of the intellectual level I am on. Scary, eh?

Jay,

as you are using the Kinsler , give them a call and chat with Earl....he will set you straight and they will have anything and everything you will need....

Jay This is mine ( or will be mine) . I have all the parts already. bear in mind i run a carb, so there should always be enough gas in the float bowls. Cost app 950 $ US without the hoses and hardlines.
fuelsystemtomRCR40.jpg

TOM

Good old Earl (I think he is glad I cannot see him shaking his head on the phone). Here is his idea. I am going to translate as best I can so that you folks in the know can make sure I am not missing something:

In each tank I will have a low pressure pump. (each tank also gets a roll-over vent and a fuel level sending unit).

The low pressure pumps feed to a 12 inch tall by 4 inch diameter swirl tank.

A single line from the swirl tank is pulled through a filter by a high pressure pump which delivers fuel to both rails.

Each rail loops back to a pressure release valve that then feeds back to the swirl tank.

There is a spillover "vent" from the swirl tank that goes to a solenoid operated valve. This valve also selects which fuel pump is running. So when you switch on pump A, the spillover goes back to tank A, and when you switch on pump B it goes back to tank B.

Anybody see any holes in the plan?

Are there benefits to putting the low pressure pumps in the tanks other than packaging?

Would you use two filters, one from each low pressure pump feeding into the swirl tank, or a single in the main high pressure line?

Thanks!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jay,

Recently fabricated new tanks for my Tornado with built-in swirl tank. Both tanks have there own external pump, filters, regulator and return line. I installed a unique, yet simple, tee 'fuel valve' that works great for switching from one tank to the other. Link and pics below (check out the fuel schematic as well).

Performance Fabrication for NASCAR, SC CA, ARC, USA Race Cars

Note: currently I am having issues with my breather tube whereby the rollover valve is not sealing fuel that may want to push up the tube during hard braking. In my opinion the rollover valve is not sensitive enough to seal.

Attachments

• Swirl1.jpg
    Swirl1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Swirl2.jpg
    Swirl2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Fuel Valve1.jpg
    Fuel Valve1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I am currently running the same system you discribed. It works fine. I would use a filter before each pump. I have ruined a couple pumps with debris.

Jay,
It all boils down to how authentic do you want the system to be, and how much money do you want to put into it. There are many variables to consider. The systems outlined are good ones and will work very well. I am constrained by cost so I designed a simpler method that cut out all the multiple pumps, lines, filters, and switching mechanisms and electronics. From the passenger side the fuel goes via a filter to a low pressure pump at tank level. This pumps to the swirl pot. This drains down to the high pressure pump(probably need a filter here as well) and then to a micron filter and to the fuel rail. At the end of the fuel rail is a pressure regulator. From the regulator a line goes back to the swirl pot. At the top of the swirl pot is a line that goes to the drivers side tank. From the drivers side tank I have a line connecting the two tanks with a one way valve going to the passenger side completing the circuit. I have one fuel level gauge in the passenger side tank. My tanks are supplied with baffles to help with the surging. Lotus uses a system similar to this.
I am using braided lines and between the fittings, hoses, and adapters, I am saving a bunch that can go to other parts, like the four fans, three radiators,trans oil circulating pump with spray bar, and accusump.
So you can design the system to how ever you want. It's just a matter of preference. On a safety point you might want to consider a low pressure oil switch(around 5 to ten pounds) that will shut down your high pressure pump or the ECU. A lot of the aftermarket guys sell them. Summit and Jegs have them. Good insurance if you spend a lot of time watching other things than the gauges and small dash lites.

Bill

Back