SLC daily driver? Possible?

Does the SLC have any storage space at all, like the Ultima GTR with its side pod storage bins? I was looking through the photos on the RCR website and I couldn't see any. What about the RCR40 cars... do any of those have any storage space? The reason I ask is that I live in the northern San Diego area and trips to Las Vegas happen anywhere from 1 to 3 times a year, and I drive my Z06. It doesn't have much space, but its enough for a few small (carryon size) bags. Any such storage with the RCR cars?

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hey George, welcome to the forum!

I'm not entirely sure about the storage space, I'm sure Fran and some of the guys who already own these cars will chime in here soon enough. I am planning on getting one soon and using it as a street/track car myself. I know there's not going to be lots of storage space, but enough to put a few things I'm sure. The only storage space I could think of would be in the front of the car. That's about the only place I can think of other than the passenger compartment, unless you're taking a passenger. LOL

Anyway, enjoy your stay, this forum is a great place for all enthusiasts and hopefully your question will be answered by more knowlegeable sources soon.

Laters,

Brian

George,
The SL-C has a good bit of room in the passenger foot well, enough to carry a soft bag of pretty good size. I would not recommend using the front as it may block radiator function.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the passenger seat would be occupied by a passenger :thumbsup:

I have been thinking of the RCR40 as well, but the SL-C just makes me drool... that the build time seems to be about 2/3rds of the build time of an Ultima GTR is all the more appealing.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Does the SLC have any storage space at all?

The more seasoned members of this forum suggest that the only thing you need to take on a trip in the GT40 or the SLC is a smile and a credit card.

IMHO, that's pretty sage advice. If I ever get one, I plan on having Fran build me a roll cage, with bracing on the passenger's side that would rather "inhibit" one from attempting to enter from that side.

I've found that the trips in this sort of car are EVER so much more peaceful without all the hysterical crying and tearful pleading coming from the passenger seat!

Doug

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
The more seasoned members of this forum suggest that the only thing you need to take on a trip in the GT40 or the SLC is a smile and a credit card.

IMHO, that's pretty sage advice. If I ever get one, I plan on having Fran build me a roll cage, with bracing on the passenger's side that would rather "inhibit" one from attempting to enter from that side.

I've found that the trips in this sort of car are EVER so much more peaceful without all the hysterical crying and tearful pleading coming from the passenger seat!

Doug

stupid.gif

Agreed. I am having enough trouble trying to figure out where to put all the mechanical stuff in the 40, much less think about storage. Now if I go it alone, I am fine. But I don't expect any long trips with the wife.

SLC cannot be worse, but may not be much better.

Well, it sounds like any long trips are out, unless I'm willing to just buy clothes at the destination and then either ship them back or trash them at the end :laugh:

There is really a surprising amount of room in the SL-C. Enough for both a passenger and a couple of soft bags in the footwell forward.

George, you NEED to visit Fran & see for yourself. Leave the checkbook at home or you will be bringing home toys! The other SL-C owners will agree that a visit would be both beneficial to you and detremental to your wallet. IT'S WORTH IT!!!

George, some GT40 owners have fashioned storage bins for under the rear clamshell - same as was included in the original LeMans GT40s of the 60's (required by the racing rules). There are two - one on each side - about the size of a small suitcase each. They can run pretty hot however (being next to the exhaust), but, I'm sure some good insulation material would improve things.

In my CAV there's a small storage bin in the left sponson at the rear - about 1 foot square. The same space on the other side is occupied by the battery.

You might find that storage space isn't the only criteria for usability on a long trip - weather protection is equally important. Sitting in a wet puddle or having your shoes in 2 inches of water is no fun on a long trip.......

Thanks for the tips about storage space and a trip to visit Fran. If I do get a car like this, I'm pretty much sold on the SL-C or an RCR40, but leaning more toward the SLC. I'm finishing up on some house remodeling at the moment -- two bathrooms being redone, all the carpet pulled out and hardwood put down, putting a pond in the back yard, so money is a bit tight right now. It will be a month or so before I could order an SLC or RCR40. Water on trips isn't an issue, since my trips are always in the nicer months when it doesn't rain in Southern California or in Las Vegas. With that said, I guess I assumed that the RCR cars were weather tight -- is that a safe assumption?

Speaking of the 40, how is the RCR40 build time compared to the SLC? I remember reading somewhere (the RCR website?) that the SLC build time is around 200 hours. How does the 40 compare to that? Frankly, I'm not really into the whole building thing, but I can't afford to pay someone to do it either.

The SL-C is not a difficult build for someone who has some knowledge of mechanics.
You guy's may correct me but I believe it is a much quicker build than a 40.

Got my SL-C delivered on December 9th and am working on the sub-assemblies before final mechanical installations. It's really going well.

It seems like the SL-C is the quickest and easiest build of any of the cars that I'm interested in. Now I just need to finish up my house renovations and cash bleeding :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Frankly, I'm not really into the whole building thing, but I can't afford to pay someone to do it either.

There are plenty of places that will build all or part of it for you - PM me if you're interested...

Thanks for the info about having it built by parts or whole. I've replaced brake rotors during brake jobs, radiator replacement and water pump replacement, installed long tube headers, and installed a supercharger on my Z06, so I'm pretty sure I have the tools and mechanical skills required to put together an SL-C. It's just that unlike many of you, I have not found wrenching on cars to be enjoyable. Maybe it's because parts were dirty, always hard to reach, etc. I'm hoping that putting together clean parts and working from the inside to the outside will be much different -- more like my childhood, when I enjoyed assembling model cars, planes, and ships.

George, it's a long haul anyway. Mostly installing supplied parts. Some fabrication is required, but minor in nature. My build is coming along well, no big surprises. Lot's to do. Full time (8 hours/day) should take around 200-250 hours without paint. You will spend equal time just sitting there staring at the car, planning which task to do next!

Basic plan is to complete all mechanical installations as far as possible, then begin bodywork preparation (hang doors, etc.) Very straight forward once you figure it out.

Jack Molleur
SL-C 009

Back