RCR AC Pump Hookup Questions

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
I have the standard AC pump that comes with RCR...I think I might have dorked up a bit, as I took the sealed cover to where the hose connectors go off while it was in position on the engine and therefore, all the oil came spewing out. Nice little mess. :sad: So, a couple questions:

1. What sort of oil is used and how much?
  2. Looking at the two parts that attach to the pump so that you can attach hoses, it appears that there needs to be O rings for both of them, though I don't seem to have any of that size in the pump kit - Am I right about the O rings? I don't think it would seal without, but looking for confirmation.
Any other tips for the AC install (first time I've done this)? Thanks for the guidance.

Here is a good link maybe? Auto Air Conditioning (A/C) Retrofitting FAQs

Maybe Ester oil would be better base on this.

Ester is also a truly Universal lubricant which has a Single Viscosity. PAG Oils come in a variety of viscosities which must be matched to the vehicle. GM vehicles use a high viscosity (150) PAG Oil, and non-GM vehicles use a low viscosity (46) PAG Oil. You cannot use a 100 viscosity PAG Oil as a "1 size fits all" universal lubricant. Ester Oil, however, is truly universal and will lubricate properly regardless of viscosity.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Well, I answered my own question about O rings on the little adaptors....They were stuck to the cover & gasket that I took off to put the adaptors on. Duh. :)

Allen, I'll check into the oil....Thanks for the link. Hope your project is going well by the way!

Is oil inserted into the system when you get it charged? Even if I didn't drain all of the oil onto my floor, it would drain into the lines and out of the pump anyways. AC is not something I've ever worked on at all.

Chuck

Supporter
Same thing happened to me.

I am not at home, but if memory serves me correct, the compressor holds five ounces of PAG 150. Call Wayne at Hot Rod air to confirm. It is unlikely that all of it came out. You may have lost a couple of ounces. When I charge the system (hopefully this week) plan to have the AC experts add a bit of the oil to make up for what was lost.

This is sort of a catch 22. If you install the lines to the compressor before you install the compressor it will be a real pain to get it in place. But if you attach the lines after you install the compressor some oil will come out of the fittings when the cover is removed.

Chuck

Chuck

Supporter
Regarding the fittings, you should have been supplied with little kit which includes green O rings and a small tube of lubricant. It was missing, but Wayne send a replacement. Every fitting should have an O ring and use a bit of the lubricant. I have no experience with AC systems either, but my impression is you want the fittings tight, but not cranked down so tight that the O rings get damaged.

It has been suggested that one use a bit of antiseized on the compressor fittings to prevent galvanic corrosion between the aluminum compressor case and steel fittings, although I did not learn that tip until everything was together. As lone as you don't plan to ever dissasemble it probably won't matter. But if five years from now you decide to remove the compressor . . . . . enough said.

Allen, I'll check into the oil....Thanks for the link. Hope your project is going well by the way!

Your welcome.

As for the RCR project, I'm patiently waiting for Fran Hall or his secretary to fill me in on it's progress... :blank:

I see these builds and I can hardly wait to get my car. If you need me to ask our Technicians about your AC install don't hesitate to contact me and I will see if I can get you some answer's.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Chuck, thanks for the input. I think I'm going disconnect the hoses and inspect my O rings...I synched them up pretty good.

Allen....OH! You know I associated Allenffr's build thread with you...I thought you were cranking away. WHOOPS! Hang in there...It will be worth the wait.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
The same thing happened to me. Yes, you re-use the 0-rings that are stuck to the cover plate.
Mine only lost two ounces or so (about a 3.5 to four inch spot on the floor). I added two ounces of PAG 150 to one of the high pressure side tubes before I evacuated and charged the system. These are some very long hoses on the GT40 so a little "extra" oil in the system is probably better than not enough ("Little" being the operative word here).
I recommend using a very small amount of "never-seize" on all the threaded fittings as some are aluminum and some are cad plated steel and also lubing the 0-rings withsome of the PEG oil. If you ever have to take the system apart in the future you will thank yourself for the never-seize. If you do use the never-seize be careful with the torque..........just because you are using a big wrench doesnt mean you have to "cinch 'er down".
When I charged the system and tested the AC I was pleased with the result.......it blows cold and there is lots of air comming out of the dash vents. I am considering drilling some holes thru the dash into the AC plenum under the defroster grill and let some air go on the windshield. There seems to be plenty of air availlable and in the "heat" mode it would help to de-mist the windshield.
Keith

Back