Oil Pressure Fitting

Can some one tell me what I need and where to get the oil pressure gauge to engine block adapter. The Smith gauge that comes with the SPF GT40 is either metric or BSPT and I don't have a clue. I didn't get one with the car but I also didn't get the Oil Temp gauge adapter either.

3/16", now that one is new to me. I've use 1/8" and 1/4". I have a Big R near by, I'll check with them. Funny the local hose and fitting didn't have a clue.

'ferrule' or sometimes known as an 'olive'. Depends where you are standing on this captive planet! Must be a rather large 'option' list to tick when you buy SPF.:)

SPF has never been known for a wealth of information about their cars and my 'Dealer" is/was as dumb as a box of rocks. It took me asking Jim Price to even get an options list out of them. It was the first one the public had ever seen. Even then there weren't boxes for any of this small stuff. I think the dealers were making up options to see if SPF would build it.

Before today I had never seen a 3/16" tube used on an oil pressure gauge. I've always used 1/8" or 1/4" and none of the local home improvement stores carry 3/16" hardware so I couldn't check the sample I had. I even checked my Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe, it didn’t list any information about SPF GT40s. I did just pick up the 3/16" fitting and ordered the oil temp adapter so now all in good. Now all I have to do is remamber which way the drill has to turn to prim the engine, counter clockwise I think, maybe. That's what the Internet is for, right?

Given the number of SPF's that return home on flatbed's I too am surprised that SPF has not made it into the Hitchikers guide.:)

Anti-clockwise should bring the oil pressure up......as long as the pickup tube is not still on the option list awaiting its 'tick' and presuming that the pan is full of oil...:)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Given the number of SPF's that return home on flatbed's I too am surprised that SPF has not made it into the Hitchikers guide.:)

Anti-clockwise should bring the oil pressure up......as long as the pickup tube is not still on the option list awaiting its 'tick' and presuming that the pan is full of oil...:)

Thanks for the correct spelling Jac Mac! Not that I will remember how its spelled as I seemed to have lost some brain cells through the years. I always look forward to reading your posts and wish I had a fraction of your knowledge.

Last edited:
Oh my God I was supposed to order an oil pan, no one told me about no stinking oil pan, it wasn't on the damn list anywhere honest. I know everything is OK as the oil when in just fine, I put it in that louvered thing on the top of the car.

Like all things in most cases you get out what you put in. It also helps to understand the thing you are trying to bring to life (kids excluded) IMHO. That’s why I took the whole thing apart when I got it. Let’s see tab A goes into slot C and ………………..

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Oh my God I was supposed to order an oil pan, no one told me about no stinking oil pan, it wasn't on the damn list anywhere honest. I know everything is OK as the oil when in just fine, I put it in that louvered thing on the top of the car.

Like all things in most cases you get out what you put in. It also helps to understand the thing you are trying to bring to life (kids excluded) IMHO. That’s why I took the whole thing apart when I got it. Let’s see tab A goes into slot C and ………………..

You got me laughing, Olthoff has them in stock, I got mine through him, its the Roush motor oil pan with the correct pick up. Holds 9 quarts.

Don't you have to have one of them fancy Roush motors to have one of them fancy Roush oil pans. I'm thinken that you bought one of them feren engines not the one from your local engine store like Keith Craft.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Don't you have to have one of them fancy Roush motors to have one of them fancy Roush oil pans. I'm thinken that you bought one of them feren engines not the one from your local engine store like Keith Craft.

Nope Rich you can order it separate from Olthoff. My motor is a 427 cubic inch dart Aluminum 351W block with AFR heads built by T&L. I am happy with my motor, took a long time to get it but it was built well, I have over 6k miles on it in little over a year with one open road race and RA under my belt. :) Keith Craft is a great motor also.

Sure your not from Arkiesaw?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter

Oil pans? Did someone mention oil pans?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... (as he runs screaming off into the distance)

The bane of my existence, it seems.

Jack, my life is now almost complete, thanks for the 3/16" tip.

Attachments

• HPIM1377.JPG
    HPIM1377.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 232

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Oil pans? Did someone mention oil pans?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... (as he runs screaming off into the distance)

The bane of my existence, it seems.

I was hoping you didn't read this tread, I am sorry Kirby. You have an oil pan Demon in your car. :embarassed: But it sure runs good!

Richard, I am so happy for you and that you are doing this yourself, you will know your car better than anyone when its done as I do mine. :) Half the fun of owning one is making it better.

I like speeds.. solution, I could tell you about the day that we were running rather late to attend a wedding when one of those plastic oil gauge lines decided it was no longer suitable for its task.....needless to say after that coating of 20w/50 we never got to that wedding & I was wishing I had never gone to mine!!:)

Jack if that's the case mine should be perfect by now. I'm dealing with the aftermath of me taking almost everything apart. When I hung the front suspension back on the car there was a piece of tape with a number on each side written by me. I have no idea why it's there or what it means but I'm sure it was important at the time. I also have a short but big bolt left over on each side, I sure hope they ar'nt important.

I really do have a pan I was just kidding. One problem I am dealing with is that the engine didn't come with a dipstick of all things. This problem shall too pass.

Jac, those things have always made me nervous but it's not to close to the headers so for now I think I'll be OK but someday I'll change to the braided line. OK for us Yanks is BSP what's on the back of the Smith gauges? Can't you just cross thread a 1/8" NPT on the thing and hope it works? What's wrong with the Brits I thought they went metric like the rest of us, oh ya we didn't either (thanks uncle Ronnie). I'm so confused.

Last edited:
Back