Ricardo transaxle cooling

(I really know nothing about transaxles, so......) Every time I read a post about transaxles (mostly on GTM forum), issues about external cooling and additional electric/mechanical pumps always seem to come up.

In a mild hp application (e.g., 600-650hp LS7, street driven) is additional cooling required (and/or additional pumps and whatnot) with a Ricardo, or is it just like a 'regular' tranny - i.e., attach it, fill it up, and away you go?

(I really know nothing about transaxles, so......) Every time I read a post about transaxles (mostly on GTM forum), issues about external cooling and additional electric/mechanical pumps always seem to come up.

In a mild hp application (e.g., 600-650hp LS7, street driven) is additional cooling required (and/or additional pumps and whatnot) with a Ricardo, or is it just like a 'regular' tranny - i.e., attach it, fill it up, and away you go?

the Ricardo has a internal pump and there are fittings for the oil cooler hoses already on the case. if you are not using a cooler the fittings are connected together with a short hose. the cooler is not require for normal street use but that may depend how hard you push it on the street. the by pass hose in the center of the trans on the top right side. the blue and red fitting with stainless hose.

Attachments

• GT+650.jpg
    GT+650.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 489
the Ricardo has a internal pump and there are fittings for the oil cooler hoses already on the case. if you are not using a cooler the fittings are connected together with a short hose. the cooler is not require for normal street use but that may depend how hard you push it on the street. the by pass hose in the center of the trans on the top right side. the blue and red fitting with stainless hose.

Very interesting - is the internal pump electrical based, or are the only electronics on it the speedo sensor?

Also, when you talk about how hard you push it on the street, are we talking about how high up the engine RPMs get when shifting, or how fast you shift, or......?

Oh, I was just reading through the GTM forum and began wondering if perhaps an external cooling unit isn't always a good idea, regardless of how you're driving, due to the fact you've got the exhaust situated right around the box (assuming you don't dump the exhaust to the side, like on the black&green slc)?

Very interesting - is the internal pump electrical based, or are the only electronics on it the speedo sensor?

Also, when you talk about how hard you push it on the street, are we talking about how high up the engine RPMs get when shifting, or how fast you shift, or......?
Mechanical pump. there is a speed sensor and a reverse switch. lik ant trans heat builds up from high loading of the gears . the trans was designed for the 2005 Ford Gt and they did not come with a cooler but there is one available from Ford racing

I am definitely using the cooler. I think most should plan on it. I have not decided on one yet. Ford makes one, so do some GT aftermarket folks. I don't think the proximity of the exhaust should stop you from running a cooler. Just think about where it is located. The SLC has plenty of space. My car.... not so much.

I agree with Crash33, J, et al., and would run a cooler. It's just can't hurt and would at the least allow you to run harder when you are inspired to do so. (I guess the only drawback might be a rock through the cooler or a line failure).

(I really know nothing about transaxles, so......) In a mild hp application (e.g., 600-650hp LS7, street driven);quote]

Yes very mild :thumbsup:
Strange how inflation works on this topic as well.
what power would a reliable wild LS 7 make in your opinion ??

Anyway, if the RICARDO is already prepared like shown it should be a no brainer. A decent sized SETRAB cooler some nice hoses and you cool it.

Just wonder what Ford is delivering for 1300 bucks. Man this is a price for a top end custom mad cooler with some goldbraided hoses

TOM

Yes very mild :thumbsup:
Strange how inflation works on this topic as well.
what power would a reliable wild LS 7 make in your opinion ??

Anyway, if the RICARDO is already prepared like shown it should be a no brainer. A decent sized SETRAB cooler some nice hoses and you cool it.

Just wonder what Ford is delivering for 1300 bucks. Man this is a price for a top end custom mad cooler with some goldbraided hoses

TOM

I'd say 800+hp would be 'wild' in my eyes.....

I don't know anything but I looked up Setrab and their most expensive cooler is like $500.....why is the ford GT one 1300? Just because it's for a Ford GT?

If you run a cooler, is it like a radiator where you have to burp it, have over-flow, and a temp sender on it?

I'd say 800+hp would be 'wild' in my eyes.....

I don't know anything but I looked up Setrab and their most expensive cooler is like $500.....why is the ford GT one 1300? Just because it's for a Ford GT?

If you run a cooler, is it like a radiator where you have to burp it, have over-flow, and a temp sender on it?

With little more than valve train and cam changes (ECU tuning needed) the LS7 will make 675 very reliable HP. Been done many times.

Soooooo after much research it would appear the setrab cooler is the way to go - seems to be a popular choice for the Ford GT.

Now, if only somebody could supply me with the proper part number for it..........hehehe. Anybody? (stores that retail it just sell it as a 'ford gt oil cooler' for $900, but I see the setrab logo on it, just no part number)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Alex,
I will send you the numbers from the shop tomorrow...available locally to me for half of the price you have been quoted...I have one on my car

Alex,
I will send you the numbers from the shop tomorrow...available locally to me for half of the price you have been quoted...I have one on my car

Sounds goods. Can you also send me the price with it - something tells me I'll be taking one of those with my Ricardo purchase.......also, if there's a mounting bracket for it I'd take that as well - it looks from the pictures you have to make your own......

btw, what ~isn't~ available to you at a fraction of list cost these days, lol?

For kicks, when I was at the local Ford Racing dealership today, I asked how much I could buy a ricardo transaxle from them for. Well, after we spent 10minutes going around in a circle about what a transaxle is, and what part it is from a GT, they finally settled on a quote of between 25,000-30,000. Good deal :laugh:

Sounds goods. Can you also send me the price with it - something tells me I'll be taking one of those with my Ricardo purchase.......also, if there's a mounting bracket for it I'd take that as well - it looks from the pictures you have to make your own......

btw, what ~isn't~ available to you at a fraction of list cost these days, lol?

For kicks, when I was at the local Ford Racing dealership today, I asked how much I could buy a ricardo transaxle from them for. Well, after we spent 10minutes going around in a circle about what a transaxle is, and what part it is from a GT, they finally settled on a quote of between 25,000-30,000. Good deal :laugh:
the Gt transaxle is available from ford racing for $ 14,500. the factory re-built ones from Dab Solutions in the UK are about $ 7000 outright. Dab solutions can also rebuild with a choice of final drive ratios. Ford GT - DAB Solutions (2006) Ltd

the Gt transaxle is available from ford racing for $ 14,500. the factory re-built ones from Dab Solutions in the UK are about $ 7000 outright. Dab solutions can also rebuild with a choice of final drive ratios. Ford GT - DAB Solutions (2006) Ltd

You should shop at my local Roush/FR dealer - markups like whoa (I won't even tell you what he wanted for a Rousch 427 engine for my cobra). :laugh:

Are the ones from Adrian then exactly the same as what a Ford GT uses, or better? Also, when I was researching GT40s, it seems to me that there were a lot of issues regarding transaxle availability, and people sometimes waiting months or years to get a reasonably priced one - how come everybody just doesn't go to Adrian and buy his? From what I've seen (which is very limited), a rebuilt&upgraded G50X runs over 10k, so this would seem a steal?

You should shop at my local Roush/FR dealer - markups like whoa (I won't even tell you what he wanted for a Rousch 427 engine for my cobra). :laugh:

Are the ones from Adrian then exactly the same as what a Ford GT uses, or better? Also, when I was researching GT40s, it seems to me that there were a lot of issues regarding transaxle availability, and people sometimes waiting months or years to get a reasonably priced one - how come everybody just doesn't go to Adrian and buy his? From what I've seen (which is very limited), a rebuilt&upgraded G50X runs over 10k, so this would seem a steal?
the Gt trans that he sells is the same thing. they are rebuilt to factory specs. one of the things about the Ricardo is the are no parts available from Ford. they expect you to replace it as a unit. the Gt manual does not even show one apart or how to rebuild it. the trans is about 50 #s heavier then the porsche. most who use the trans also use the stock or after market Stillen clutch and stock flywheel for the GT at about $ 2500. the starter is special, starter gear is on the clutch not flywheel and only available from Ford, it is a motorcraft starter made by Denso but can't be bought as a Denso part. $850 list , can be bought for about $ 550 through ford parts online. the trans will bolt up to some Ford blocks, 351 and Mod motors with 8 bolt crank will bolt up to the trans and flywheel with out adapters. gearing is good for a V8 but it is a bit high, set up for 200 MPH. the ring gear can be changed form the 3.31 to a 3.90. Ring set at about $ 2500 , stock trans is designed for 600 ft./ # of torque. quite strong and very smooth shifts. cable shifter has a great feel, but very stiff reverse with short shifter

Back