Sanden high pressure switch?

Anyone know if the A/C system in our SPF's has the ability to detect high pressure and switch off under high RPM bursts?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I use one of the General purpose outputs on my EFI computer to turn off at 4500 RMP. You can purchase a programmable shift light that runs off the tach that could activate a relay that would kick it off line, also some of the MSD 6 units have a output on them for shift lights that would work.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There is another switch that's vacuum operated.. Used primarily on 4 cylinder cars with automatic transmissions and AC. When the manifold vacuum drops to under 3" (I think that's the level) - it opens the circuit to the AC Compressor's relay...

This would probably not work on a car that does not have a common manifold plenum. In other words most Weber/Individual runner manifolds are out...

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
There is another switch that's vacuum operated.. Used primarily on 4 cylinder cars with automatic transmissions and AC. When the manifold vacuum drops to under 3" (I think that's the level) - it opens the circuit to the AC Compressor's relay...

This would probably not work on a car that does not have a common manifold plenum. In other words most Weber/Individual runner manifolds are out...
Dang Randy thats a great idea, never thought of it that way. :idea:

Randy,

I have an edelbrock single plane manifold with a Demon 770 carb atop. Would I have to tap the manifold for an additional switch or can I pull the signal of vacuum drop from an existing source. Can you elaborate?

Jack.

I have an MSD 6AL box with an extra lead coming out of it IIRC, This also sounds like a pretty cool idea. Can you elaborate as well.

Rich.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
MSD 8956 MSD RPM Activated Switches

Rich, I this is $84 and will work for the AC system. The 6AL unit doesn't have programmable shift light, some of the other units do. Also not to still Randy's thunder but I think a multi tap at the intake manifold is OK, its just a diaphragm switch and should not effect anything else.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

I have an edelbrock single plane manifold with a Demon 770 carb atop. Would I have to tap the manifold for an additional switch or can I pull the signal of vacuum drop from an existing source. Can you elaborate?

Here's a High Pressure cut-out switch;
Classic Tool Design AIR CONDITIONER HIGH-PRESSURE CUT-OUT SWITCH KIT : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

I looked all over for an aftermarket vacuum controlled AC Compressor cut-out switch (sometimes called a Wide Open Throttle relay).. Could not find one..

You would tap into a manifold vacuum source. There should be at least one vacuum source on the baseplate of the carb. If not there - you can "T" off of any other vacuum line on the manifold itself.

Look at the local wreckers for a vacuum switch on a carbureted car. most fuel injected cars have Throttle position sensors and the computer takes care of cutting out the AC Pump..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
MSD 8956 MSD RPM Activated Switches

Rich, I this is $84 and will work for the AC system. The 6AL unit doesn't have programmable shift light, some of the other units do. Also not to still Randy's thunder but I think a multi tap at the intake manifold is OK, its just a diaphragm switch and should not effect anything else.

I like this too... The only thing that it doesn't do is to judge the loading on the engine like a vacuum type of system would...

Of course - there's always the finger-flick method...

You know - reach over with your finger and flick the switch OFF... :D

Back