Porsche Starter - DIY - Re-Clocking for clearance

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm building my RCR40 with a Small Block Ford 331 Stroker and Porsche G50/03 Transaxle. At the point in time when I started building this car, there were no other RCR owners on the forum that were building with Porsche G50 transaxles.
I moved my engine/transaxle forward by a little over 2" in order to more closely align the rear axles to the axle stubs on the transaxle as well as to get the back end of the transaxle "inside" the rear body work.

When I moved the engine/transaxle forward, I found that I could not fit the stock HD Porsche starter as it would hit the chassis. The starter needed to be re-clocked in order to work.
There were no commercially available starters that could be re-clocked that I could find.
I found a gear reduction starter on eBay and another RCR Builder (Jeff Hamilton) had bought the same starter to go through a similar exercise on his RCR40.

This picture shows the stock starter and the interference with the chassis;
IMG_0724.jpg

The problem with re-clocking the stock starter is that it has a shrouded nose that has an additional bearing - so I sourced this Gear Reduction starter that had a fully exposed drive gear:
IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Here you see the factory Clocking
IMG_1454.jpg

This picture shows the desired Clocking
IMG_1455.jpg

Houston - we have a problem… The bolt (actually one of the 4 10mm transmission mounting studs) is a mile away
IMG_1456.jpg

Here you see where the other bolt needs to be;
IMG_1458.jpg

Metal in the bellhousing is quite thin here but we'll make it work by threading a button head bolt through from the inside;
IMG_1459.jpg

So I start designing a dual-purpose torque strap that will also clamp the starter tight to the bellhousing;
IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

And here - We have Crankage…. It works quite well! No movement of the starter and good engagement of the gears.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfKwaAPM0Bs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfKwaAPM0Bs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PLEASE NOTE::
Not long ago - RCR has sourced re-clockable starters that are available.

I hope this information can be of some use to someone who needs to re-clock their starter..

Randy:
Quite an interesting solution to the problem. I had a similar situation with a GT3 box running inverted and looking at your 5th and 6th photos I had the same alignment.
I went thru the process of dis-assembling the starter, welding some plate to the front, and re machining the front of the starter to fit flush. I then drilled the bolt hole you have marked and re-installed the assembled unit with the new holes located in the mounting face.
Same result...it works fine. Now I fear its a one-of-a-kind unit whereas yours could be replaced with another piece.
Nice job, it proves there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
Cheers
Phil

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys... As you may have already figured out - I have a tendency to take the hard route on somethings..

I did end up with what I think is a good and viable solution and if need be I could bolt up a stock Porsche starter and be good to go.. The only other solutions I had seen were starters that were $500 or more and were out of my budget...

Back