Half Doors for GT40s

Hello,

Would anyone be interested in SPF selling half-doors for our GT40s?

You know, just having the bottom half of the driver and passenger doors without the window and top part? It could be sold as a kit with ready to paint doors with all the hardware.

In five minutes you could go from your toasty full door set-up to a breezy half-doors for those hot summer days... and nights!

What do you think?

Randy.

I think pics would really help this idea? How about a system for removing/installing a large portion or the entire window quickly?

Rich.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I like both ideas, Mike Trusty has mentioned he would like half doors in future, Rich other than putting a plug on the electrical on drivers door it would be a quick change. The window removal is excellent idea also. I may work on a quick change window this spring.

Here's a drawing of what I'm thinking...

Attachments

• GT40HalfDoor.jpg
    GT40HalfDoor.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 395

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I will talk with the factory and see if they have interest in suppling doors of this style both as an "add on" option with orders and as retro fit parts. Perhaps as add ons both in primer and painted to match.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Here's a drawing of what I'm thinking...

I was thinking of a second set hanging in the garage. Its just the one pin and off it comes except for the electrical. On Mike Trusty's car we put a canon plug for the electrical, you can have his doors off in seconds.

Jack maybe you or Mike could supply us with a model number and pictures of the Cannon plug install?

I'm still looking for an old door so I can mock up my roll down window idea. It dawned on me yesterday that the small window would have to be fake (no inside hardware) but I still think I could make one that would look stock from the outside and still roll down with only about 2" of the top of the window not inside the door.

It would NOT be a simple mechanism but I still think it would be doable. Of course it would be much easer if we had one of those replicator thingies you see on Star Trek. Or maybe a force field instead of the window. That's it a force field........

Lance told me they already prototyped the SAFIR-type split door with a removable top-section.

You should speak with him about that.

If and when I order a car, that is the one option I will order.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack maybe you or Mike could supply us with a model number and pictures of the Cannon plug install?

I'm still looking for an old door so I can mock up my roll down window idea. It dawned on me yesterday that the small window would have to be fake (no inside hardware) but I still think I could make one that would look stock from the outside and still roll down with only about 2" of the top of the window not inside the door.

It would NOT be a simple mechanism but I still think it would be doable. Of course it would be much easer if we had one of those replicator thingies you see on Star Trek. Or maybe a force field instead of the window. That's it a force field........
Hey Rich, it was plug he bought from Aircraft Spruce. I am not sure which one it was but I wired it in where you pull a rubber plug from one of the available holes in that area of tub and disconnect it. You can have both doors off in minutes.

I have cut new windows with my laser for Kirby, but was thinking if only there was a frame to slide a window in and out quickly it would sure help on those days that are nice enough to cruise with the windows out.

After driving around on a rather warm day, and cooking in my car.
(No A/C)
I headed home and removed both windows, and again hit the road.
It was great being able to talk to people with out opening the door,
and having to talk over, or around it.
But,
I found that it didn't help a bit in getting a nice breeze to come in the car.
Except when I would stick my hand out to act as a scoop to catch the wind.
The shape of these cars seems to do the job as intended.
It may be better (for a breeze) if the top of the door going into the roof was gone as well ?

Cheer's !

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
why not just have a quick remove top section - leave the bottom half in situ?

you can already get removable roof panels though, cant you.

Last edited:
ive already done a little investigating on this last summer.
as it stands now, the easiest way would be to cut down your doors, finish them off and ur done.
i called superformance and asked how much a set of doors would be minus windows etc....
the prics i was quoted was abt 5k for the pair.
that was painted and with the door stripes. unpainted was 300 dollars less.
i didnt have the 5k, so it was a no go for me.
i dont want to cut down my only set of doors either.

ive also driven the car around without the windows and i liked it. true, its not breezy inside the car.

why not just have a quick remove top section - leave the bottom half in situ?

you can already get removable roof panels though, cant you.

I've been told that Tornado offer this option, although I've never seen it. It would be the ONLY way I'd ever get my wife in the car!

I've seen those too, can't find it back on the moment, but it can look like this

2008199466594.jpg

also seen Gt40 with normal doors, so not with the flaps...

Back