427 SOHC in a Mk II?

Well it seems very possible to build or buy your very own "Cammer". Will that motor fit into a Superformance Mk.II? This would be the only FE engine I would choose. Same question regarding the Ricardo Transaxle?

Donn, here's a visual which might help - 351, FE and Ford modular. I'm no expert but I would guess the SOHC 427 cammer is a tad bigger in terms of breadth and height than the FE, but smaller than the modular. Again, I don't really know - there are lots of folks here who would know however.

Sounds like there are a lot fo Roush 427s in SPF cars, so, I'd guess that the main limit (if there is one) is the additional height related to the separate cam and drive, and whether that all fits under the internal horizontal part of the clam shell....

Would be pretty cool to see a "cammer" in a GT40.

Attachments

• dimensions.jpg
    dimensions.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,411

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The consensus elsewhere on the forum is the Ricardo is too long. You can confirm by searching for "Ricardo" I think. You can also get partial answers to your first question searching for "cammer".

Standard 427 is 23" wide, SOHC is 30", same as the DOHC Mod Motor ( SOHC Mod is 25 5/8 ) Height of 427 SOHC from crank centerline to carb pad is 15"
Hope this helps, Mike

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Jay Cushman has some of these engines and parts for them. He would have some information for you.

Why couldn't you put a ZF behind one, or a ZFQ? The Pantera guys run ZFs behind 600-750 hp and they hold together. Or you could try to find a T44, if you have a lot of disposable income.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
A good friend of mine has many of them and parts that go with them in San Diego, they are huge!! I just can't see one in a GT40 but I have been proven wrong more than once. I did see one shoe horned into a cobra, it was a crazy project but sure consumed the entire engine compartment. I have pictures somewhere.

Cobras are easy. It can be done in a GT40 but its alot of work. We have the engines.

Attachments

• cobra sohc 1.jpg
    cobra sohc 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 820
  • sohc cobra 2.jpg
    sohc cobra 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 616
  • Twin supercharged cobra.jpg
    Twin supercharged cobra.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 591
  • Twin supercharged cobra 2.jpg
    Twin supercharged cobra 2.jpg