RF 117 wins !!

A great result today for Iain Pretty's RF117...

Iain's car ran a 1-hour enduro at Sydneys Eastern Creek Raceway. RF117 came home first, against some strong competition including VW GT3 cup cars, Lotus GT3 and a couple of Honda powered Loti.

I am very pleased for Iain and this result. Years of hard work and lots of $$.
Iain, GOOD ON YOU for taking the GT40 idea and making a race car which is clearly up there with the best GT cars on the planet. Well done Mate!!

My race finished, dicing for the lead..... lost 4th gear, then 5th became notchy...... headed for the garage having had the best race dice of my life. I hope to get some video up in a few days.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well done to both you guys.

Tim, sometimes they break, that goes with the territory in endurance racing. It's a matter of finding the balance between speed and reliability. Obviously Iain got it right. Nevertheless, sounds like you were right up there whilst everything was going well. Hope its an easy fix.

I think the forum can be proud of both your efforts.

Can't wait to see the in car footage....

Yeah, thanks Russ.
Our box is the standard road-going synchro h-pattern honda box. A lovely box to use, but not really a race-car box!! That's my second stripped 4th gear.
Need, at least a oil cooler and good gear set. But if $$ permit, a Sadev sequential would be nice!!!!

Anyway, today is Iains day. Cudos to him.

well done guys, specialy the GT40 with the win.

and euh, Lotus Elise - Honda K20 - 345 rwhp - 715kg! thats about 395hp...wow that must fly with that low weight.
How strong is that engine, does it have stronger internals and how does the gearbox handle...yours already a bit gone...do you use the box of a MR2 turbo? ah now I see standard Honda gearbox, I was a bit confused the use the MR2 box for a tuned yota engine ;-)
anyway very fast Elise, hope you get the right box, indeed a seq would be ideal.

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Yaayyy! well done Ian --was John Bowe helping / partnering in the drive ??
Tim -you'll have to start useing life tags on those consumable parts :blank:

Congratulations Iain, a deserving result after all the hard work, development and testing.

Well done too Tim, hopefully an easy fix and you'll be ready to go again. Where's the NATSOFT results ? They seem to have missed your main race.

Cheers Paul.
Results probably delayed. There were a number of drivers being called up for passing under safety car conditions etc. Could be a few penalties applied yet.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Iain, great effort by a lot of people to finally get the results you have been after.
Tim, bad luck with the gear box, that falls into the catagory Sh*t happens.
Looking forward to seeing the video.

Eastern Creek 1 hour Tim Mackie on Vimeo

Above is a link to video of the first part of the race. Unfortunately an errant porsche caused a safety car on lap one, which was a bummer for us. As both our team cars got good starts. Please excuse my spin at the end, i was very angry at myself for that. it ruined a good battle.... i might add that Iain Pretty (GT40) was right on my tail for most of this battle.

that white exige did it had bad brakes? it was fast but bad braking and stops you from taking good/fast corners...I would go mad :)
lucky for you the spin only hurt your thoughts.
its a whining SC so I guess not a rotrex?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tim, thanks for posting, as always very interesting. On L1 did Iain pass you under SC and then redress? I couldn't quite work out what happened.

that white exige did it had bad brakes? it was fast but bad braking and stops you from taking good/fast corners...I would go mad :)
lucky for you the spin only hurt your thoughts.
its a whining SC so I guess not a rotrex?

Rene, the white Exige is a factory GT3 car, but now turbocharged. Handles and stops poorly, but VERY fast on the straights. It was quite frustration be be stuck behind him!

Our cars have eaton style blowers.

We cant get near the GT40 or turbo Lotus on the straights, but are much quicker than them on the stops and corners. We are pretty much on par with a 997 Cup Car for outright speed.

A very generous description of events from Tim. The race was won, despite my best efforts to derail events by John B. I got black flagged for a jumped start that I feel was a little harsh. (I will post video and would welcom your unbiased opinion on the judgement). I posted the second fastest time (behind JB) but after the drive through the crew ran the numbers and I was pulled in to hand over to JB to retreive the 40 seconds incurred from the drive through penalty.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
It didn't look like a jumped start to me either. If it was SC Iain addressed that by letting you back in front, so why would he be pinged?:shrug:

Our rules do not allow for "redressing" if you pass under safety car, a couple of other cars got a 24 second penalty for passing under safety car but this was not applied untill after the race was finished so I dont think that was the problem.

Iain, does the Hewland have a potentiometer in it that would allow a signal to be fed to the data logger / display to show what gear you are in?

Back