Period Photos

FORD

Literally hundreds of period photos, most in the 200KB range after clicking on the thumbnail, of Ford GT40s with chassis numbers, drivers, and venues. The real value of this site are the seldom seen club racers at tracks like Silverstone, Crystal Palace, Brands Hatch, Thruxton, etc.

The authors do have a bit of a problem with the Alan Mann prepared chassis so
beware.

Gramps

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very cool... Thanks for posting - I had not been there before!

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for posting. Love the pics of 1076 at Daytona. Interesting the differences between there and LeMans.

These photos are unbeleivable. I've sent a message via the website as I'd like to purchase the CD. Can you imagine how long it took to compile?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Period Photos, as a big spreadsheet

I captured the whole thing in an Excel Spreadsheet, cleaned it up a little, and shared it on Google Docs. You should be able to download it from

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1...IwZGItMjljODc0MTQ3NTRh&hl=en&authkey=CJG1--IB

With Autofilter turned on you can isolate down to whatever your subject of interest is, eg particular driver, particular race, etc.

As-is it's not organized correctly for really clean filtering. I may normalize and republish if I get the time.

Version for Excel 2003 and earlier (.XLS):

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1...ljMDAtZWY1ZTQ1Nzg3NDU3&hl=en&authkey=CPH837UH

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
... you can buy the DVD here:

Welcome to Slot Car Portal

20 GBP.

Before you order this CD be aware that it's really just a copy of the website, and from my searching of the CD the collection of GT40 photos is the only such collection of photos of real cars. As far as I can tell the rest of the images on the CD and site are of scalectrix models. If anyone finds evidence to the contrary please post here.

Grandpa, these are some great shots. I'm still amazed at the lack of safety that was allowed back in those days. I've not looked at all the photos but there's one with a driver standing with a cigarette in his mouth while in the pits and the other shows a GT40 ripping by as spectators sit with their backs to the cars as they go by. Remarkable stuff. Thanks.
s

Re: Period Photos - but whose photos?

These photos are unbeleivable. I've sent a message via the website as I'd like to purchase the CD. Can you imagine how long it took to compile?

I bet it didn't take them nearly as long to compile and identify those photographs as it did for myself, Gordon Jones, Ronnie Spain and the many other authors and photographers whose work is included here. I note that the owners of the website "recognise" the copyright of the work they display, but so far they certainly haven't bothered to ask me whether I mind them taking my photos and then selling them on CD to others; I suspect they haven't asked anyone else, either. As far as I can see, they haven't even taken the trouble to mention from which books they have lifted the photos. When authors use the work of others in their books, they get permission, and usually they or their publishers pay the copyright-holders for the privilege; that is generally the case in book publishing.

As a photographer I certainly don't mind people being reasonable in using my pictures on the internet, perhaps to make a point on this forum, or to illustrate a particular detail; I'm happy that people find the photos valuable and like to look at them, and I hope that it encourages people to buy my books, and visit my website. But, there are limits, and, frankly, what these people have done is to go well beyond those limits. They have merely picked up a load of GT40 books and magazines, scanned the pictures, then presented them on a website and for sale on CD. Easy work if you can get it!

May I suggest that if you would like really nice, good quality, high-resolution photographs of the cars in question, available to you without even having to switch on your computers, you support the many authors, photographers and publishers who create these pictures in the first place - and buy the books!

That way, there just may be more books in the future...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

if you would like really nice, good quality, high-resolution photographs of the cars in question, available to you without even having to switch on your computers, you support the many authors, photographers and publishers who create these pictures in the first place - and buy the books!

I would, and I do, and you're welcome.

I should remind you, however, that there is a "paradigm shift" occurring in the publishing world because electronic publishing is in many ways intrinsically more useful to the end user than paper. Witness the utility of taking the contents of that site and turning it into a "searchable database" as I did with Excel.

As the owner of valuable intellectual property in this area, you should consider publishing it that way as well. For example, I would dearly love to have (paid) access to some of the better photographs out there rather than having to resort to my scanner.

"Don't get mad, get even." :)

I would, and I do, and you're welcome.

As the owner of valuable intellectual property in this area, you should consider publishing it that way as well. For example, I would dearly love to have (paid) access to some of the better photographs out there rather than having to resort to my scanner.

QUOTE]

Good point.

It is my intention that, eventually, I will digitise much of my collection and make it available via my website, in the form of A4-size prints.

It's unlikely that I would put hi-res electronic pictures out there, because they are then still vulnerable to copying and re-selling, in the way these people have done; believe me, the time spent doing a hi-res scan from a single original transparency, then colour-correcting it accurately (40+ year-old slides often have colour-shifts, alas), then electronically removing the dust speckles and so on, just doesn't make it a financially viable use of my time if the end result is too easy to steal.

Sure, but that's basically a technology problem. The stock photo people sell expensive visual IP over the internet all the time. See for example Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Thank you. I have to admit to being something of a Luddite when it comes to computer technology, which is why my website is so simple, devoid of all the bells and whistles and other features which are available to those who know how to use them. Clearly I must do some homework before I eventually get round to putting the photo collection on the internet!

And of course, I'd need to put in PayPal links, VISA, etc etc. Right now that's beyond me. Perhaps when I get more time (and definitely, a new computer).

I feel your pain John. I was amazed when someone recently joined this site, I clicked the link to his Shebly/Cobra/GT40 site based in Belgium (no free publicity from me) and discovered he had photo-copied all my Cobra book images including one entire chapter (!) without ever giving me any credit at all for my years of bloody hard work or recompensing my considerable expenses. I counted over 100 images of mine and then gave up...it was so depressing. How come these nice folks totally ignore the copyright warning inside the cover of every book and think we're doing all this work purely for their benefit. Does me blood pressure no good at all.....and just shrugging it off as 'one of those things' is totally unacceptable

Back