GT40 Race Car For Sale £40,000

GT40

Originally built by the present owner in 1988 from parts supplied by GTD and since extensively modified to be a race car.
The car was raced seriously until 1994 and has been given a couple of outings a year since. During that time the car won the Sports Racing and GT Championship in 1991 and has racked up over 24 outright race wins including the Zandvort Trophy in 2000, and the last running of the famous Cheshire Cats race. The car has won outright at Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Thruxton, Donington, Mallory Park, Castle Combe, Cadwell Park, Pembrey, Snetterton and Zandvort. And had dozens of class wins most notably at Spa.

Originally the car was built with a Ford V8 Windsor engine coupled to a Renault gearbox, but was soon up rated to a full race Ford Windsor engine giving 425 bhp, which soon proved too powerful for the Renault gearbox. The gearbox was changed for a Hewland DG300 racing gearbox with interchangeable gear ratios and a full race triple plate clutch.

Suspension was altered to Koni adjustable dampers and the brakes were up rated to AP 4 pot racing callipers. Special designed front and rear roll bars were constructed and fitted. Rear uprights were changed for lighter weight aluminium cast uprights.

A change in the regulations of the SRGT Race Series in 2000 allowed the car to run a Chevrolet engine instead of the Ford, and the car is now fitted with a 4.27 Chevrolet (7 litres) full race engine which gives 150 more bhp and is much lighter. This engine was built in the USA and has all the best bits. The engine produces 570 bhp.

Further modifications were made to up rate the front brakes once more to oversize triple pot callipers which meant changing the wheels to 17 inch rims to accommodate them. The car is currently on 18 inch rims with ultra low profile tyres. Included in the spares with the car are a set of 17 inch rims and a set of 15 inch rims along with the smaller front brakes to fit the 15’s. The car is fitted with an adjustable brake bias bar which is controlled from the driving position.

The all up weight of the car is 980 kilos

Chassis:
Space Frame , Aluminium Rear Uprights, Independent front suspension, Independent trailing link rear suspension. Both front and back fully adjustable for toe, camber, caster and ride height, Adjustable front and rear roll bars. .Koni shock absorbers adjustable for height, bump and rebound. Single Core aluminium Radiator with auxiliary electric cooling fan. Rack and pinion steering. Electric power steering.

Bodywork:
Glass fibre. Fully fitted roll cage, Sparco race seat. Willans 4 point safety harness. OMP fire fighting system plumbed to cockpit and engine compartment.

Brakes:
Front: Hi Spec Monster 6 pot lightweight callipers. 14 inch vented discs. Rears: AP Racing 4 pot lightweight callipers. 12 inch vented discs.
Brake bias bar to alter brake bias front / rear. Rear brake limiter valve, all fully operational from driving position.
Handbrake: Hydraulic.

Wheels: Compomotive alloy 18 inch lightweight split rims. (Spare set of Compomotive 17 inch and Revolution 15 inch alloy split rims).

Tyres:
Yokohama AO48 285 x 30 x 18

Fuel System:
One 8 gal aluminium tank in LH side pod. One 7 gal aluminium tank in RH side pod. Both tanks connected together but with valve to isolate LH tank at driving position (so that LH is the only one in use), One auxiliary 5 gal tank behind front radiator with separate Facet fuel pump to refill LH tank once it has ¾ emptied. (Both R/H and auxiliary tanks are only required for long races). All tanks of heavy duty high grade aluminium and foam filled.
Engine fuel pump is electric Holley high delivery rotary fuel pump through fuel filters.
All controlled from driving position
Carburettor: Holley 850 CFM.

Electrics:
MSD advanced ignition system with variable rev limit facility and variable gear change light. Lightweight Red Top race battery.

Engine:
Dry Sump with 3 stage oil pump, remote oil cooler and filter.
4.27 V8 Chevrolet full race engine built by S.K. Speed, North Lindenhurst USA . Dyno tested in the UK by CES Power at 577 bhp @ 6,500 rpm and delivering over 500 ft lb of torque from 3500 to 5500 rpm. Fitted in 2000 and only raced 6 or 8 times.
Spec:
Rodeck Block : Moroso Valve Covers : Dart 1-036 Heads : Crane 11:150 Roller Rockers : Chevrolet 10051102 Bowtie Manifold : Moroso Aluminium Water Pump : Ross Pistons : Hydraulic Damper : Crower 1841 Custom Ground Cams : Crower 95121 4 inch stroked Custom Ground Crankshaft : Crower S91008B Com Rods : Miloden Sump : GM Bell Housing with lightweight Flywheel : Clutch Tilton Triple Plate.

Gearbox:
Hewland DG 300 Mk 2 transaxle S/N 265
9/31 Crown Wheel and Pinion
Gears: 1st 16:40, 2nd 20:34, 3rd 24:32, 4th 26:29, 5th 29:27.
Clutch Shaft DC 239
Driveshafts: GKN.
Remote oil cooler.

Ron Earp

Admin
Trevor,

Pictures will help you a lot with selling this car for sure and they can be uploaded as attachments. There are a couple of tutorials on doing it in the Forum Help section.

Ron

Keith

Hey there Trevor, welcome to the forum. Are you the TT that raced Lotus in F1 and various F5000 and won the Tourist Trophy in a Lola T70 in the '60's and '70's?

If it's you, much respect man!!! rockonsmile

If it's not, welcome anyway....:)

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Folks,

Ron asked me to post photos from the owner. Here's one. I'm at work right now and will post the rest (at a decent size & quality) when I get home.

Best Regards,

Al

Attachments

• T_1.jpg
    T_1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,210

Keith

Unfortunately for us Paulo, this ain't the same pilote as kindly pointed out to me by PM from this Trevor, although he says he will sign his autograph for you if you ask him nicely!!;)

Apparently, the "real" TT of F1 fame is resting quietly in the Channel Islands (Thanks to David Morton for that info)

This looks a nice car though...but it would have to be for £40K I guess..... :squint:

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Here's the rest folks!

Best Regards,

Al

Attachments

• GT-40001.jpg
    GT-40001.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • GT-40002.jpg
    GT-40002.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • GT-40003.jpg
    GT-40003.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,086
  • GT-40004.jpg
    GT-40004.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • GT-40005.jpg
    GT-40005.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,040
  • GT-40006.jpg
    GT-40006.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 996
  • GT-40007.jpg
    GT-40007.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,072
  • GT-40008.jpg
    GT-40008.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,047
  • GT-40009.jpg
    GT-40009.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • GT-40010.jpg
    GT-40010.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 991
  • GT-40011.jpg
    GT-40011.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,016

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Keith,
Trevor - who is selling this car used to live hereabouts in Marlow but I think he now lives in Gurnsey.
Dave

Nice looking Lotus 23 in that picture. One of my favorite race cars. That would be heaven for me, to have a GT40 and a Lotus 23 in matching colors!

Yes, that's a Lotus 23B which I have just finished and is ready to go. It is very quick and holds the road like a leech. It has a Mass Peugot 2 litre engine and a hewland Mk9 gearbox. About 230/240 brake and 500 kilos. Also for sale at around £18,000. Also got a nice LHD TR3B for £12,000.
I'm having to sell the toybox.

Hi Dave,
Haven't soon you for a while. Sold Harleyford last year but still living in Plymouth. Will be moving back to Marlow later in the year. Plymouth house for sale thus sale of toybox.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor is this the car that Chris Inch preps? If so I think it was at the Exeter Kit shows a few years back..... Very nice car....

Andy

Back