Iceless Driver Cooling - DR COOL

Ron Earp

Admin
Repost from one of the race forums but I figured some here might have some interest.

I've had this idea for many years to have an iceless cooling system for a race car. I started back around five years ago and tried to build a system around TECs but just couldn't get the system to cool enough to make it viable for use.

Early this summer I revisited the project because TECs had changed over the years and dropped in price. So had much of the support equipment such as small radiators and so on that an iceless system would need. A buddy of mine Deon is an engineer and has a small CNC mill at home that he fabricated. I enlisted his help with the design of the unit based on the initial ideas and DR (Deon Ron, yeah, that works) COOL was born.

After a couple of different designs we finally came up with a system that seems to work well. It can chill the coolant down to freezing in about 15 mins in an unloaded system and with a cool shirt hooked up and a human inside it can maintain 9-13C, plenty enough to be cold when you are in the shirt. It has a small coolant reservoir inside and in theory you'd only have to add water to replace what gets lost hooking and unhooking the dry break connectors, which should last several weekends without water addtion.

The box below is the final design with a couple of extra like a three position temperature monitor (inflow coolant, heat engine hot/cold side), dry break connectors, and the possibility to switch it to a heating mode (not sure what the hell that would be used for!). All in all it has tested on the bench well and seems to do the job. I'm going to install it in the race car and try it out for next season.

The unit is fairly large, 20x10x7 and weighs about 14lbs. Not sure we could make it a lot lighter as it has a radiator, two liquid systems, two pumps, heat engine, four fans, plus breakers, switches, and of course the lighted pirate skull that was necessary to make it all work. Deon did a nice job with the CNC side of things, especially the skull.

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay being a fellow racecar driver and all - I'll be he first to say it....

Very "COOL" stuff and I'd like to look into one of those to replace the Ice/Water cooler I have now...

Ron,
I'll be interested in how it works in the race car. 10 lbs of ice used to last 45-60 minutes when I did IMSA endurance races in a closed car. 14 lbs is not bad. Guess the question is how well the heat exchange occurs in a hot car. How do you plan to duct the radiator?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Ron --

Really impressive! Just curious: how much current does it draw? And what kind of pricing are you thinking about?

Ron Earp

Admin
The unit works damn well. There are commercial versions of this out there, but they range from around $4k to $10k. All the same thing - Peltier device.

Current draw is significant, around 25 amps. But nothing is for free. If you need to move heat, you'll need power to do it.

Cost for an assembled unit? Not sure what Deon and I will do with it. Just the parts cost (retail) to put the unit together is up around $700-$850 or so, but I still need to complete the spreadsheet of every last bit. We designed and developed it with the intention to put together a sellable unit in a nice molded package for the $700-$1000 mark. At that price it'd be highly competitive with glorified ice chest systems (around $450) but have a number of distinct advantages. But, even if we can get the parts cost down to wholesale levels, $250-$300, we'd need to charge quite a bit more than $800 to sell them for any real business value. The labor to build it is intensive and I'm really not sure we could get the parts cost down to $300. In the end we have this working unit and if close friends of ours racing wish to have one we'll probably build one for them for a nominal fee.

Tell you what though - Deon wants a used Harley engine for his chopper project. Use some connections to get a engine to him and we'll build a DR COOL V2.0 with a number of planned improvements that will knock your socks off.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Ron, you and I think along the same lines. I had this idea about 5 years ago for an AC replacement unit in vehicles. Using a recirculating liquid cooling system, much like yours. You're the man!!

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, you and I think along the same lines. I had this idea about 5 years ago for an AC replacement unit in vehicles. Using a recirculating liquid cooling system, much like yours. You're the man!!

Thees units are far too inefficient for that. To even get reasonable air cooling off one of these things I suspect you'd need ten units at probably over 300 amps. I could run the calculations and sort it out, but these units are not the solution for cabin cooling.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Certainly would make a great Seat-Cooler though!!! :)

I used Peltier Effect Chips a long time back for Intake Manifold cooling.. On the BOTTOM side of the intake with rather large heat sinks on them.. Let the oil carry some of the heat off.. While we didn't dyno test, the car was notably stronger and the intake manifold was no warmer than body temp at the end of a feature race. BUT - they would suck the life out of the battery in no time flat when the alternator crapped out.. :eek:

Back