"Grip" for tyres

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
hillclimb competitors use a similar product as "tyre softeners", also go karters, although I believe now banned in go karting.

dont know about this brand product, have used a product called "AZNU" (??) many years ago and it did improve the grip level if you put it on about a week before the event.

Yip. I have used this stuff for about 5 years until our formula changed the tyre rulling and banned it.

very good stuff , usually applied about 3 coats on the wednesday night before a saturday race meeting and then apply a clingfilm type plastic around the tyres to keep it in. ( industrial pallet wrap) .

The only problem with it is all your overalls and garge will permanently smell of it.

make sure you never use any tyres that have had it on when it is raining or the track is wet, as it is like driving on oil. I found out the hard way by spinning out twice before the start line on a short circuit tarmac race with a slightly greasy track.

my experience has been with Avon tyres mainly, Have tried it on yokohamas but tends to destroy the tyres after a few laps.

Ron Earp

Admin
Chirs, it is illegal for us to use in the SCCA but I have tried it on old tires for a test day. It "seemed" to work. I knew from the previous outing that the tires I had were shot. I followed the directions on the can, treated twice as asked, and then tried them out. The tires "seemed" better for 1/2 the day, then returned to their original condition or maybe even slightly worse.

The directions on the Hot Lap we have is written for simpletons. I quote:

1. Using a paint roller apply three coats on Wednesday and three more on Thursday.
2. Race on Saturday.
3. If the race is on Friday apply three coats on Tuesday and three more on Wednesday.

What do you do if you race on Sunday? Or Monday?

Hi Chris

I have used it many times, it is very good stuff - most recently at Bathurst on a set of 5 year old slick - very good.

The application instructions above are correct - i usually put 4 coats on - it is a very messy job but worth the effort.

Regards
Jason

Back