Another engine choice question

I have talked to Fran about this but since the weather is sort of crappy and I don't have a project in the garage I thought I would start this conversation. I have always been a Ford guy but The LS seems like the best bang for the buck. I don't understand all the differences between the LS1, LS2, LS3, and LS6. Some are aluminum and some have more HP. I understand the LS7 and LS9 and I also understand that they are out of my budget. I found this ad on craigslist and was thinking about going this way instead of the LS3.

Here is the ad......

Complete 427 (4.115 x 4.0) = 426.5" @ 11.8 to 1 CR Everything from valve covers, engine sensors and oil pan to coil packs and spark plug wires included.Also, PCV remote resevoir, Ported 90mm throttle body, Fuel rails/Injectors, Engine has between 5-6,xxx miles! Dyno sheet included!

Applications- 1997-2004 Corvette; 1998-2002 Camaro/Trans Am ;GM Pickups in those years also. With a simple wire adapter, it will work in 05and up Corvette, GTO, Camaro, etc.

Sonic tested, prepped iron block with Custom Racing Diamond forged pistons w/coated skirts, hardened rings, Eagle 4340 polished steel crankshaft, RHS Racing 6.125 H-beam rods, Hardened racing bearings, Double roller timing chain, Ported LS6 oil pump, Comp Cams pushrods and hydraulic roller lifters, ARP head bolts, Custom ground Comp Cams hydraulic roller Camshaft- (254/262 .647" .647" on a 110* lobe sep) , Total Engine Airflow ported and flowed 62cc chamber L92 heads (flowed [email protected]"), Ported/matched L76 intake manifold (also ported by TEA) Engine was built in St Pete Florida at a reputable machine shop. I have all of the details, just contact me by text

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Does it include the ECU and correct Calibration....along with free dyno time to get the driveabilty where you want it???

Depends whether you want turn key simplicity or potentially tons of tuning...but then you are a frustrated Weber guy...whistle...

The GM aftermarket harness uses an E67 ECU which has a 58x crank set up...the earlier engines use a 24 x crank...you can use a jumper harness to go one way but not the other, in relation to installing the engine in older model cars vs newer.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/mer...=L460065397&Store_Code=LPE&Category_Code=C163

Make sure you get this information correct...without this you can make yourself more work...or at least need to build a custom wiring harness

I had two very well speced "pro" built engines that looked great on paper expire very quickly this season in the 01...now I have a Detroit built engine with similar spec and have had no problems...I also used a bone stock LS3 for the13 hr and also had no engine issues....just food for thought.

Looks like it has decent parts though

Ask Efnfast about his custom engine....

Last edited:
Seriously Alex. Why is it taking so long? Why in the world would you tolerate such stuff? Is there unobtainium in that engine?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I think they are still in the process of digging up the carb for it from the dark ages ;)
No, I have it but they won't meet my price:

of02.jpg

I also used a bone stock LS3 for the13 hr and also had no engine issues....just food for thought.

Fran, was that 13hr LS3 wet or dry sumped? Baffled?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Only change we made was to bolt on the dry sump pan and pump....as mentioned in the race report.

For occasional track days I would just add an Accusump

Seriously Alex. Why is it taking so long? Why in the world would you tolerate such stuff? Is there unobtainium in that engine?

Error after error after error :shy:

For example, we waited 10mths for mozez heads, nothing in terms of valves and some other components for them, so we gave up on them and switched to fully ported all pros. Unfortunately my engine builder forgot to leave the deposit(!) and I didn't find out until like 3months later.

Partly my fault for not keeping him on a tighter reign.

Then there were issues like the crank taking 38weeks to manufacturer from Callies.

And on and on. *sigh*

Then he got all the parts and he broke a dozen bones in his foot, so that prevented him from beining assembly.

The world hates me.

It's real hard to argue with the LS3. I have never had a car that had an engine that ran every time I turned the key. Most of the cars had an engine build that was longwer than the car build. I assume when you guys say LS3 you are talking about the LS376, right?

I can't imagine going to a track and actually racing as opposed to just working on my car in the parking lot!

The World doesnt hate you.....just the engine builder does...

Ya know, you still have my poor lil' waterpump for modification. Technically I can't have a finished engine without a waterpump, so by transitive properties me not having an engine is your fault .... see, it's all Fran's fault I don't have an engine :laugh:

;)

Yeah, his diet has too many....... carbs :D

Hardy-har-har :p

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
....you should see how many times your engine builder called me asking why you had not sent the pump to me almost two years ago as he has actually had your engine ready to go but didn't want to make you feel bad for not sending a pump to RCR....I guess you not shipping it to me until 3-4 weeks ago makes it back in your court then doesn't it...and besides you know it wont fit or its not shiny enough, once we have made the mods.....:lipsrsealed::laugh:

....you should see how many times your engine builder called me asking why you had not sent the pump to me almost two years ago as he has actually had your engine ready to go but didn't want to make you feel bad for not sending a pump to RCR....I guess you not shipping it to me until 3-4 weeks ago makes it back in your court then doesn't it...and besides you know it wont fit or its not shiny enough, once we have made the mods.....:lipsrsealed::laugh:

As long as it pumps water and clears the chassis I don't care how shineeee it is :laugh:

Of course knowing my luck it'll fail within 5miles because somebody (i.e., me) has to get the 1 in 10,000 which is defective out of the box :idea:

Has there been much interest in the Ford coyote engine? I usually go to a few Ford only events and it would be nice to see an SLC lapping a few Mustangs.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
We did one just recently..nice looking engine but BIG like Bull....

Not as powerful out of the box as the Chevy or as inexpensive

I looks like I can get one for $6000 but it has less horsepower and the wiring in more expensive. I have also read some reviews that where not very flattering. It's hard to beat the LS package.

Back