Another engine choice question

I looks like I can get one for $6000 but it has less horsepower and the wiring in more expensive. I have also read some reviews that where not very flattering. It's hard to beat the LS package.

Sadly an LS will never sound as good as a heavily cammed sbf, but it's very hard to beat it for power.

I looks like I can get one for $6000 but it has less horsepower and the wiring in more expensive. I have also read some reviews that where not very flattering. It's hard to beat the LS package.

Less horsepower? Not by much though right? -

LS3 = ~430bhp
Coyote = ~415bhp

Not a huge difference right? :D

What do you mean by 'flattering'?

I had read that the variable cam timing was disabled with the install kit from Ford. If that is true, you would be severely handicapped against the LS3.

Believe me, I would love to run a Ford engine and it isn't about HP but about how fast the engine can reach the peak HP. That might be through the use of lighter internals or button clutch assemblies. Thats what will make a light car fast.

It seems like even if they where the same price and both worked as advertised, the aftermarket support for the LS is worth going in that direction.

Dean

i have the ex Donnie Barnes RCR 917 in my workshop since wednesday. This car is now equipped with an LS 376. I filled the liquids ( everything has been drained for transport)´charged the battery for two hours and then pushed the button. Fired up within a ffew turns and idled along with a little lump. After checking the brakes and all the suspension bolts on saturday i went for a short drive. After warming up the engine i pushed the pedal to the metal. My Ford with Gordons 331 is one very fast machine, but due to the concept it need RPMs. This LS engine hauls ass as of 2000 RPM it just pushes forward like a bull in this lightweigth car. it feels so much faster than the GT.
I wanted to built my next car with a Porsche 996 TT engine with around 600 horses, but this drive realy got me thinking. I dont think there is an other engine for the same bang for bucks.
TOM

Steve

Supporter
The aftermarket support for the LS is stellar and it's tremendous bang for the buck. If I were to go the Ford route I would avoid the complexity of the VVT in the Coyote and buy a 4.6L Cobra DOHC with a Teksid aluminum block(same mfg for Ferrari). They're cheap and you can bump them out to 5L easily get 450hp with NA after a few mods. Where they really shine is with boost..... but now we're talking some serious Franklins.

Fran's right, they're big, especially in width with the four cams sitting up high. If you go the all aluminum route they're no heavier than some of the LS engines though.

The thing I like about the Ford is more about 'feel' and 'looks'. I like the idea of four overhead cams and beefy good looking heads without so much the need for plastic covers. To me it looks like a proper RR engine (always wanted a DFV Cosworth I guess). Also, when using a Ricardo (as I am) one could pretty much bolt up the Ford without needing an adapter to graft the engines together. As Fran points out you would still need a spacer to which some integral RCR engine mounts are attached. But a spacer is simpler and able to use all the original attachment points between the two without compromise.

One thing I can't understand is why the Ford heads are so big, the Cosworth has trim four cam heads :shrug:

Last edited:
Dean

i have the ex Donnie Barnes RCR 917 in my workshop since wednesday. This car is now equipped with an LS 376. I filled the liquids ( everything has been drained for transport)´charged the battery for two hours and then pushed the button. Fired up within a ffew turns and idled along with a little lump. After checking the brakes and all the suspension bolts on saturday i went for a short drive. After warming up the engine i pushed the pedal to the metal. My Ford with Gordons 331 is one very fast machine, but due to the concept it need RPMs. This LS engine hauls ass as of 2000 RPM it just pushes forward like a bull in this lightweigth car. it feels so much faster than the GT.
I wanted to built my next car with a Porsche 996 TT engine with around 600 horses, but this drive realy got me thinking. I dont think there is an other engine for the same bang for bucks.
TOM

Pictures would be valuable.....

The thing I like about the Ford is more about 'feel' and 'looks'. I like the idea of four overhead cams and beefy good looking heads without so much the need for plastic covers. To me it looks like a proper RR engine (always wanted a DFV Cosworth I guess). Also, when using a Ricardo (as I am) one could pretty much bolt up the Ford without needing an adapter to graft the engines together. As Fran points out you would still need a spacer to which some integral RCR engine mounts are attached. But a spacer is simpler and able to use all the original attachment points between the two without compromise.

One thing I can't understand is why the Ford heads are so big, the Cosworth has trim four cam heads :shrug:

See no sense in getting complex just for the sake of it

TOM

Hi TOM,
For some people it has more to it than, 'just the sake of it'. These cars are not always about ultimate black and white performance. Some builders will chose style, comfort, sound, and even a certain look before ultimate efficiency. I will be the first to admit that the LS based engine is the most efficient unit (I have one in my car). But to me ultimate performance does not and did not drive my every decision. Now if it was a race car.....then I would have decided solely on the cold hard numbers. But some of these cars are asked to be more diverse and satisfy more than just race/track cars.

Cost vs Reliablity vs looks vs parts vs personal wants and needs vs performance.

If I was to build a show quality GT40 then I would use a ford motor.
If i am going to build a race or a car for track and street use for my own use and not worry about showing it for the most part, I would use a LS series motor or SBC, for the cost and easy of parts.

As I am planing on build a SLC, at this point I am going a different route all togeather and using a motor that fits with the Supercar styling and performance. It is not going to be cheap, but I am also looking to not follow the norm either as I want something different that what others are building or planning to build.

With that being said. My plans at this point is to use a Nissan VR38DETT out of the R-35 GTR's. I already have done a bit of work with them and they are good motors.

Hi TOM,
For some people it has more to it than, 'just the sake of it'. These cars are not always about ultimate black and white performance. Some builders will chose style, comfort, sound, and even a certain look before ultimate efficiency. I will be the first to admit that the LS based engine is the most efficient unit (I have one in my car). But to me ultimate performance does not and did not drive my every decision. Now if it was a race car.....then I would have decided solely on the cold hard numbers. But some of these cars are asked to be more diverse and satisfy more than just race/track cars.

Hi Mesa

fully agree to your point.

But we all know Dean and he is a black and white performance guy and therefore my comment

no offending ment
TOM

Especially considering the fact that isn't the 1UZFE considerably smaller and that has quad cams...

It's my understanding that the 1UZFE is not cost effective from an electronics perspective... Seems as though the LS3 remains the best bang for the buck.

It's my understanding that the 1UZFE is not cost effective from an electronics perspective... Seems as though the LS3 remains the best bang for the buck.

I was merely commenting on the fact that the quad cam Ford Mod. motors had such huge heads and the quad cam 1UZFE doesn't...

The LS3 really is a brilliant motor, that being said I think the Coyote 5.0 isn't far behind!

TOM, thanks for the clarification.
No offence taken

Jim,
I think Fran/Ben was in general referencing the size of the Toyota quad cam head vs. the Ford quad cam head. Both engines are near the same capacity but the size of the head and the engines are way different.

TOM, thanks for the clarification.
No offence taken

Jim,
I think Fran/Ben was in general referencing the size of the Toyota quad cam head vs. the Ford quad cam head. Both engines are near the same capacity but the size of the head and the engines are way different.

Yea, sorry, just a random thought. I have a million things running through my head planning on the best build for the buck... one track mind. :shy:

I am seriously considering the coyote engine just because I do run some Ford events and I think this car has the bare essentials to win the top honors. Has anyone successfully ran one of these engines?

Fran, did you dyno the coyote car that your guys put together?

Back