Lava mat heat shielding

Hello can anyone tell me about Lava mat heat shield.
I was thinking of using it on the engine side of the firewall.
I am not able to find any in my City to look at so I need some advice.
Can it be cleaned of oil or grease etc... will it snag or unravel ?
How do you glue it on ?
Thanks in advance.

it has self adhesive. it seems to be lasting ok, i havent looked at it much. Makes it look like carbon fiber. cheaper than gold foil. Amazon sells it.

In the us you can pay $79 for amazon prime, then get free shipping for 2 day or cheap overnight. i did it when i was building the slc for 1 year. I got my use out of it that year!

EBC brake pads, aluminum angle, they've got millions of car parts too. You get a little more protection then Evil bay because it goes on a credit card, not instant draft on your paypal/bank account.

Prime is well worth it. You can buy the Bosch pump directly from Bosch too for example. I also bought a Momo steering wheel, all with the great return policy, not setting up another account with another vendor, clean tracking interface, etc.

What thickness is normally used for the firewall? I see 0.007" & 0.025".

My mind automatically leans towards the thicker of the two for the bulkhead/firewall. Am I correct, or is 0.007" enough to block the heat?

Thanks

My SL-C uses the factory 0.125 5052 panels for both the engine bulkhead and the lower fuel tank close-off panel. I made some small removable side panels for the engine bay between the outer chassis tubes from .125 5052 aluminum. Handy to hang stuff from and acts as a heat shield from the exhaust manifolds. Suitably cutout for coolant lines, etc.
A little gold foil and there ya' go!

Don't know where the .007 and .025 came from....

I believe he was referring to the thicknesses available for Lava Mat, Jack. Excellent question, and I was wondering the same thing.

Say Jack, you wouldn't happen to have a photo of your removable side panels?

I believe he was referring to the thicknesses available for Lava Mat, Jack. Excellent question, and I was wondering the same thing.

Say Jack, you wouldn't happen to have a photo of your removable side panels?

Actually, yes I was... I guess I forgot to ask which thickness of Lava Mat...

Thanks for keeping me straight.

Mike

I called the manufacturer today and they said that there is no difference between thicknesses in terms of thermal reflectivity.

The main difference between the two is based upon the relative distance between the heat source and the area you are trying to protect. If you have a air gap of 1" or better, the thinner material (0.008) will work just as well as the thick. Anything less than 1", you should use the 0.025 material.

Now, having said that, and being that I don't have a car as of yet, I'm not sure of the distances. I'll take a look at the photos I have and see if I can suss it out.

If the air gap specifications are true, you can probably go with the thinner material.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Perfect! Precisely the answer I was looking for. Thanks Doc.

FWIW, the gentlemen I talked to at the manufacturer appeared to be quite knowledgable about the product.

I was finally able to install the LavaMat onto my firewall panels and then get them installed. This obviously isn't an SL-C, but I wanted to post a couple of pictures.

DSC_1619.jpg

DSC_1618.jpg

Back