country of origin

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
See SCM this month. Here's a question: who here thinks the GT40 (not the Mark IV, the Marks I-III) are English cars, and who here thinks they are American? (full disclosure, I think they are English cars)

If this is the wrong place for this question, please move to the correct field, thanks.

Brian Magee

Supporter
If the car needed a passport, then country of birth would be England. Or would it have dual nationality? So to my mind it is English or possibly Anglo-American but NOT American.

Brian.

Last edited:
Always an intesting question:

Ford GT

Funding - US
Chassis design and construction - UK
Body Design - US
Engine - US

Jaguar XJR-5

Funding - UK
Chassis/Body Design and construction - US
Engine - UK

So if the Ford GT is English, then by the same reasoning the Jaguar XJR-5 is American.

I go with Anglo American for both.

Gramps

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
How about the P-51 Mustang?

Funded by the UK

Designed in the US

Constructed in the US

Power from UK

It has always been considered a US aircraft, but........................

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This all makes perfect sense to me, I wonder why there was ever a question?

My Dad came over from Scotland, I guess that makes me Anglo-American as well:)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Kudos for mentioning Packard, who built more than 50K engines for P51s, to modified RR drawings.

A RHD P51 Mustang? You amaze me. Perhaps I misunderstand :)

GT40- Anglo/American at least, if not entirely Anglo. I thought about a comparison with, for example, Bizzarrini, and Morgan- Bizzarrinis have Chevy and Ford engines, and modern Morgans have BMW engines, but it doesn't exactly hold up- the GT40 program was begun at the behest of Americans at FoMoCo who wanted to race internationally, and that impetus is a substantial part of the American part of the A/A parentage.

bit newer

How about the AgustaWestland Apache

Funded by the UK

Designed in the US

Constructed in the UK

Power from UK/F

It has always been considered a US helicopter,

Ah but some P-51s had Rolls Royce engine & turned backwards (danged Engilsh don't know which side of the road to drive on either LOL) An interesting side note. The English carrousels or Roundabouts as they call them turn counter clockwise too (backwards)
Mike S.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Mike,

It is only the Foreigners who come over here who don't know which side of the road to drive on, we know. As for driving counter clockwise around roundabouts (or islands as they are known in the midlands) well that would be interesting having to cross to the WRONG side of the road to do it.

Brian.

Pat

Supporter
An English design, developed in England using American money. Anglo-American.

Ahem, I think Carroll Shelby may take credit for a significant part of the development as did Ford. The smartest thing Shelby did was make Carroll Smith(USA) Team Manager. He recruited Shelby American chief engineer Phil Remington(USA) and driver Ken Miles(UK) to reengineer the cars. John Wyler(UK) continued at Ford Advanced Vehicles assembling the cars from sub-contracted parts.

Early on, Broadley's(UK) design was put to wind tunnel tests at the University of Maryland. Ford engineers redesigned the body to fit specified chassis dimensions. Air scoops were put on both sides (also found on the 1962 Mustang I Ford developed.) Originally the scoops were to duct air into side mounted radiators. Not enough air entered the scoops to make a difference for the radiators, so they were redesigned to cool the rear brakes.

For the MKII in addition to Shelby American, Ford enlisted the help of big block stock car winners, Holman & Moody(USA), and Alan Mann(UK). Ford's Kar Kraft tested all the 427 engines and drive trains for reliability.

The thing is Anglo-American

Back