GM steering column hub question

I bought a Momo generic GM steering column adapter for my wheel, but it doesn't match up to the column on the SLC even after removing all the steering wheel control wiring and plastic. Do you guys have either or both of:
a) part number for any 6-bolt steering wheel adapter, quick release or not
b) car and model of the column that came with the car

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim, The problem is that the generic GM column adapters are for the millions of old columns around. The C6 and XLR use a different spline, and are still relatively uncommon.

Assuming you want to use an aftermarket wheel, the solution is to use the quick-release adapter provided in the kit, and have the plug welded on the column (this is normal procedure at Superlite, so your car should have come this way). That covers the connection to the column.

However, there are a couple of standards about wheel drilling, so your selected wheel may still not fit the provided adapter. In that case you can either re-drill the wheel, or make a small aluminum adapter to adapt the wheel to the pattern already in the column adapter.

PM if you need more details.

(typing on phone - apologies)

Will - nothing welded to my column from factory.

Doug - thanks for that link. Looks like the likely solution for me.

I'm going to see if Momo or Sparco have anything but will probably just get the Pfadt one. Problem solved (with money). :)

Hi Will, are the steering wheel adapters custom made for the SL-C's ? I am in need of one as well. I just received my custom made seats today and just finished fabricating my DBW pedal bracket, but before I set them in their final positions I would like my steering wheel mounted just to be sure they are where I want them to be. So if you know where I can buy one it would help greatly.
Cheers,

You should have gotten one with your kit. If not, talk to Fran.

I'm not sure why there is a rush to buy an adapter- it is a part of the kit, so if you don't have one and need it because you want to run an aftermarket wheel (like the one in the kit), call Fran to get one.

But the one I got was from Sweet Mfg- Quick Release Assemblies & Components

So, no, it's not a bespoke part for the SLC. Over the years, the adapter may have changed as to suppliers, etc. But this one looks like the one I have.

One piece that probably is custom is an adapter that is a machined aluminum piece that adapts the normal adapter to a specific wheel. You may not need this if the steering wheel hole pattern matches that of the column adapter. If it doesn't one of these billet-style pieces will be needed in addition to the provided column adapter.

If you are using a late C6 or XLR steering wheel, no adapter is needed.

Alternatively, there is a wide array of adapter manufacturers and feature sets, so if you wanted a collapsible one (though the column itself is collapsible) the Pfadt one looks good. And one from NRG allows the wheel to flip UP to increase leg room when entering the car.

So there are choices, and options. But I imagine most people will use the standard adapter that comes with the kit.

I supplied my own Momo wheel for which I got a credit and when I asked Fran about the adapter a couple days ago he said there's no hub supplied with the kit as it uses a 5-bolt quick release. Now I'm confused.

Fran, thoughts? Is there a six-bolt version of the one in the kit?

Tim

the option list seems to include corvette hub or the quick release. is that (maybe) the source of confusion?

Doug

We supply a qjick release unit with an adapter to mount it to the gm column....it threads onto the column and is thenwelded or pinned.....the splined quick release is then attached to this adapter.
the supplied steering wheel has a five bolt center that is then directly bolted to the quick release....if they supplied steering wheel is not used then a simple customer supplied adapter will be needed to mate their steering wheel of choice to the quick release.
Google
grant to momo adapter.....$25 approx

Back