Lifting engine by valley cover?

Can I lift the engine using the valley cover bolts instead of the holes at the front/back of the head?

I see QTP has a valley cover lift plate (i.e., remove valley cover, attach lift plate, lift), but I'm wondering if I can just remove 4 bolts on the VC and just lift at that point.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have seen plates that mount to the carb location on some intake manifolds that are made for lifting an engine...not sure if they would lift an engine/trans combo, but have seen them used on American V-8 engines.

...not that I would not have reservations about them...no idea how much bolt engagement was available, but if they would be used on an aluminum intake (and I can't imagine them not being), I'd worry about stripping the mount bolts.

Ford's 351 Cleveland came with lifting rings attached at the factory on the front right and left rear exhaust port locations, have you thought about using those holes?

Cheers!

Doug

Howard Jones

Supporter
Just be sure that the bolts that attach the lifting ring plates are TIGHT on the head, intake, whatever. Just a bit of lateral movement of the bolt will ruin a good alum head, etc.

I use the intake plate method on a alum intake every time I pull the engine. No problem, even with the gearbox attached to the motor.

No need for a fancy $100 plate, a tow bar works!

Attachments

• going in.JPG
    going in.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 344
Back