Ricardo clutch cover?

Is there any reason I would not want to bend up a piece of aluminum and attach it with velcro over the opening (over the opening, not covering the opening) where you can see the clutch disc? I'm worried about rocks and shit pinching off the tires and getting in there over time.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Velcroe typically does not work well in high temperature locations.

I would think that a screen would be better and still allow adequate ventilation.

The entire clutch assembly is open to the air on my Lola (there is a spacer between the motor and the gearbox). Never had any issues. Nice to be able to see what the hell is going on.

There's no cover on the Ford GT's either.

Velcroe typically does not work well in high temperature locations.

I would think adhessive backed velcro would love high temps - the heat makes the adhessive even more sticky and makes a better bond? I can typically reuse velcro pieces many times over by making them smoke with the heat gun to bring the adhessive back to life.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I ended up making a dust shield similar to a typical trans installation. I made a spacer for the hydraulic throwout bearing to make up the travel difference. I have dims and a cad model if that helps.

Pete

Ha! I needed the screen a couple of months back when I happen to drop a bolt throught the bellhousing opening! Tried long needle nose pliers, magnet wouldn't work on stainless, use my endoscope tool to locate bolt, tried various permutations of wire hooks......finally gave up and pulled the transmission. Then had to solo "horse" the transaxle back in place. Note to self: get a wire mesh cover.....

Back