Bang....pulled the trigger today!

After spending months on this forum reading every post, numerous articles, looking at hundreds of pictures of SL-C's, picking Frans brain and talking to some you folks; I decided it was time to get off the proverbial pot and pull the trigger! I FedXed Fran a check and singed contract and ordered my engine today; so it really a "BANG, BANG"!

I expect to take delivery this May. I can't wait to get my hands on the build manual; I plan on spending the next 4 months doing my home work and getting necessary supplies together. I'm pretty well set in the tool department, having an variety of hand, power and air tools. An assortment of jacks, jack stands and a 4 post lift.

I'm looking for good sources for a: :idea:
Electrical Connector Kit
Nut, bolt, Washer Kit
Fastener Kit.

Any suggestions and/or advice at to what else I should be acquiring over the next 4 months (and please don't say patience) would be deeply appreciated!

The members on this forum have been extremely generous with information and helpful suggestions. I feel that this going be a fun project and can't wait to get started.

Jim

Congrats! I can't help you with suggestions to prep for delivery but I am curious what your plans are for it... engine, trans, interior, color, wheels etc... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
What an exciting time for you. Welcome to the club.

AS Doc said McMaster Carr for hardware. Waytek for electrical. Columbia River Mandrel Bending for exhaust and coolant tubing. I also used Online metals for sheet aluminum, stainless and steel.

Additionally, I have a bead tool for aluminum coolant tubing that anyone can borrow for the cost of shipping and return shipping.......

Very cool...Congrats man!!! :thumbsup:

Give us some details...color, drivetrain, tail, etc...

It's going to be a street machine with occasional track, I went with an LS3/525 and 6spd.w/LSD. I ordered it with the street tail, gentleman's seats, center counsel, aluminum side exhaust plates, side tail pipe w/muffler & manifold adapter, adjustable pedals, GM chrome spider wheels,hand brake kit and the color is red.

At this point,I'm not sure if I'm going to paint it or not; it all depends if there are any $'s left in the budget when I reach that stage. If I do paint it will be the same color as my 1963/2006 Corvette ZO6 Conversion; a highly customized Chrysler color: “Deep Red Crystal Pearl Coat”. It looks drop dead gorgeous with the lines on the '63; consequently is a “rolling car show”. I'm confident that it will look equally as cool and draw the same attention on the SLC.

Originally I was going to order the interior panels; but decided to hold of until I could see some pictures both the black panels and carbon fiber. I'm hopping that I can find someone in Arizona, Nevada or Southern California that has a car I can look at.

Thanks all for all the good wishes!

Jim

Last edited:
congrats on the purchase, I'm jealous with everyone else! would love to also see pics of your c1 w/z06 setup.

btw - which transaxle is it specifically, the porsche?

I'm looking for good sources for a: :idea:
Electrical Connector Kit
Nut, bolt, Washer Kit
Fastener Kit.

Any suggestions and/or advice at to what else I should be acquiring over the next 4 months (and please don't say patience) would be deeply appreciated!

Good for you Jim.

Electrical wire loom is needed. I bought 50' to 100ft rolls from Del City - it's really cheap in bulk. I also like the male/female electrical wire connectors that have the heat shrink as part of the connector. Crimp it, heat it and it's well sealed. Also take a look at Bolts from Aircraft Spruce for AN bolts/nuts with specified shoulder lengths available, very thin washers etc. I used a lot of AN hardware on my last kit car and they really set it off for people that knew what they were looking at - besides just being really good hardware. -- Mike

Last edited:
congrats on the purchase, I'm jealous with everyone else! would love to also see pics of your c1 w/z06 setup.

btw - which transaxle is it specifically, the porsche?

Here are some before/after pic's of my 1963/2006 C1/C6 ZO6
Jim

Attachments

• img099.jpg
    img099.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 257
  • img120.pdf
    511.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 242
  • img118.pdf
    480.7 KB · Views: 236

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I also like the male/female electrical wire connectors that have the heat shrink as part of the connector.

Here's a long thread about terminals with embedded solder as well:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...ine-cooling/34783-great-way-splice-wires.html

I used a lot of AN hardware on my last kit car

What's the mix of thread standards (metric vs inch) tend to be on an SLC? Is it possible to build one entirely with metric fasteners?

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I always knew the 63-67 Vette as the C2 and the 53-62 as the C1.. Nice job!

Back