Updated 69 Mustang Information

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey,

I finally got a run down on my 69 mustang that arrives on Tuesday this week!

Sporting a balanced 351 4V Cleveland with less than 10,000Kms since rebuild back in 2003, 9-1 TRW Speed pro forged pistons, Comp Cam (#33-316-4) (280/280 duration -530/530 valve lift) Hyd cam kit, lifters, SPS rod bolts, Edelbrock Torker inlet manifold, Demon 750 Carb, Peter Jackson Gear drive, Ford racing polished valve covers, Hi Volume oil pump,Mallory Comp9000 ignition system and Massive 3” Ceramic coated headers tuning into a FlowMaster 2 ½ Aluminium coated exhaust system with 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers and a nice set of Megs SS tips.

To keep this staunch monster cooled, it has the big block Aluminium radiator running a 16” pusher fan along with TCI oil cooler and trans cooler and for a tad of stability in the engine bay, a nice chrome Monte Carlo Export brace. Dyno report punched out 400Hp @ the wheels :thumbsup:

The transmission is a Rebuilt C6 with a moderate but very streetable stall converter and shift kit, TCI aluminium deep transmission pan delivering power to the classic Limited slip Ford 9” diff :thumbsup: running brand new 3.70 ring and pinion gears

Exterior paint is in a georgouse candy style vintage burgundy that is almost a candy apple red.(Lincoln Electric red) with the correct Mach1 Flat black hood. A nice set of POLISHED 16” Torque thrust 2 American racing wheels (16x7- 16x8) sporting BFG 245/50’s on the front and a nice set of BFG 295/50’s on the rear to give this beast some chance of traction:laugh:. Lowered and adjustable suspension has been fitted with the only modification being that the inner guard lips were cut rather than rolled to fit and give the car more drivability and maintain its staunch like presence

The car is fitted with a Shelby Half roll bar, steering wheel and a very desirable and rare factory tilt/tilt away steering column. Other options are the very chased fold rear seat that was also optioned for this car as well as the front and rear spoilers. The car was also optioned with the fitment of the rear louver. Stereo is a classic style Jensen AM/FM cassette radio with Electric antenna.

The car was rotiserrie restored back in 2003 and has seen a few newer updates like new rear interior panels, correct red stripe Mach1 seats, front and rear spoilers as well as a NOS ford rear window Louvre.
It is a highly optioned Mach1 which also got the added luxury item such as Factory Air conditioning.

The car was featured in Mustang & fords magazine back in February 2003

Now I have one question. I hate DEMON carburettors. It just rings me wrong bells. What can be a good/better replacement for that given the engine options? I always liked Holley.

If it runs OK when you actually get the car, then I wouldnt lose any sleep over the Demon carb which is essentially a re-engineered Holley, some of the later ones did have issues which were related to poor machining & assembly work at the factory where the work was farmed out , but most of those were sorted under warranty. Only ones I have seen with a problem if you could call it that is when the wrong model carb has been purchased for the application. I can see a couple of other items in the build sheet that might concern me, but as you have not got the car yet & dont know what its 'really' like...too early to tell.
One question?...the ''georgouse'' paint description....is that what sealed the deal...:)

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Demon carbs are great. As Jac says, they are Holley carbs with the advantage of modern machining. The Demon will be the least of your concerns with a new to you car.

Having remembered some of Georges previous posts I wonder if its the word -DEMON- that irks him, rather than anything to do with the carb, like if it had any other component with that brand name he would change that item also.... If thats the case he should simply refer to it as a Barry Grant or BG carb to put himself at ease.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for that.

Yeah its the "DEMON" part, not the carburetor itself. However, from a very well trusted engine builder I know in the US, he has mentioned he 'exorcised' a lot of those carburetors in the bin. Stuck a Pro-form carburetor in it's place and car worked better. He did state the flow is more with the BG but its so 'specific accurate' that he found it always falls out of its optimal tuning and never had any good come out of them. Had more problems than solved ones using them.

No the paint was not what sold the car to me as I wanted a black one. In fact RED was the colour I specified I did not want in my search criteria of a 69 Fastback. I wanted a Big block Black 69 but said I would settle for the 351 as long as the car was in good condition. No mechanical issues and DEFINITELY no body issues.

This car popped up, I was hesitant to start with, 2 weeks later, the agent rang me again and said "look I dont want to sound like I am pushing this car on you, but I know what you are after and this car is perfect for it, had a rotisserie restoration in the past, no rust at all, it is 100% solid underneath etc, if you want me to keep looking I can, but you may lose a lot of good cars for good money waiting for a black one. It would be easier to buy a good car and paint it black yourself later"

Having thought about that for a bit, I rang him up and said "Ok get it if it is still available"

Little did I know it featured in a magazine, little did I know this had more HP than a stock Big Block I was after that would have cost me more $$$. Little did I know it had these cool factory options such as tilt steering. I did know it was factory Air con but I did not know it had the rear fold down seat option which I actually wanted.

I bought the car without really knowing any of this because I did not get this information until 3 days ago and I bought the car about 2 months ago.

Now I know its 400HP, now I know its got fold down rear seats, now I know its got tilt steering, now I know its got the Ford 9" with Limited slip. (All the things I wanted to do later on my car). So I was VERY surprised.

Looks like the Agent really did know what I was after.

When I had my dodge charger, it had the 8 3/4 diff, not the Dana 60 I wanted. It did not have Suregrip (limited slip) which I also wanted. It had a Big Block but not the 440. So i wanted more HP.

This car (my first Ford ever) got everything I would have liked in my previous cars and never had the chance.

So what actually sold the car to me from what I 'did' know at the time...

It was a Mach 1 (special model, kind of like R/T in dodge that I desired and never had), It had the wood grain steering wheel and wood grain dash (which I also desired in my Charger and never had). Was no rust in car.

That is what sold it to me.

But I am starting to really like the red on the car with the black window louvers, black chin spoiler and rear spoiler with the black hood etc. I think it looks great now. Still not black, but I am not feeling as though "hmmm if it only wasn't red". Quite happy with it.

What would the possible (if any) concern be with what is in the car at moment?

The previous owner never drove the car, he was in a wheelchair, he only had the car from an 'art' point of view. His father would take it to a car show once in a year and that is about it.

What would the possible ( if any) concern be with what is in the car at the moment..

The engine specs, 1969 would have to be Oct/Nov or later to have 351c as Original Equipment, 351c 4v of 1970/71 vintage would be either 11/1 or 10.7/1 comp ratio with flat top pistons, 72/73 open chamber 4v heads dropped comp ratio down to ~9/1, your build specs state 9/1 forged TRW/Speedpro pistons, however that 9/1 is entirely dependant on the heads fitted on the engine in question.... bet your wishing you had not asked about now:), & you wont know for sure until you have the car in your possesion & can get someone familiar with the engines to have a look see, shouldnt be a problem in OZ, there are more 351c ''Experts" per acre than anywhere else in the world, just make sure you get a 'real' expert, there are a few fakers about , just like the ''faker shakers':)

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
The original engine for this car was a Windsor. That engine, nobody knows where it is. It was replaced with the Cleveland, which im happy about as i like clevelands.

The rest I did not quite understand. Is the 9/1 bad, or changes number depending on the heads?

Any contact to anyone in NSW/Sydney that knows C motors?

9/1 comp ratio would be good with the quality of pump fuel these days, if thats what your combo actually has, but as I pointed out earlier until you get the car & correctly identify the head/piston combo it has you have no more than the sales info to work on, the quickest way to positvely ID the components is to get someone with a borescope to have a look inside one cyl to check piston crown type & combustion chamber shape- the differences are obvious if you know what your looking for, part of the reason I have doubts is a 351c on 9/1 comp would have to be very well built to attain 400 RWHP. Sorry I dont know anyone personally that might be able to help with ID in that area, 33 years since I was in OZ.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I noticed it said NZ after. All I saw first was blue flag so I thought you were local.

So are you doubting it is a 351C or are you doubting that it is 9/1 and think it is more than that, or is it the Power suggested that you doubt while the 351C and 9/1 is plausible?

I know I fill muscle cars with 98 Octane so, even 10.5/1 or 11/1 compression would run ok without detonation. Is there a possible negative impact if they are the pistons used etc that concerns you or just that the info isnt 100% correct while if that is the combination, nothing wrong/negative with it?

The guy that bought it for me has been restoring cars for last 20 years or more. He produced all that information while the car was in his shop waiting to get picked up and shipped. I assume he checked all that as to how he came with those figures?

George, it may be a typo, but the CC part # you have given, 33-316-4..... the 33 stands for the FE engine 352/390/428 etc, should be 32-225-4 for cleveland with that duration & lift, as I have said already, best you wait & see the car to see what you really have got.

33-316-4 has 296° Int/305° Ex & .598"/.595" lift & is 352/428 FE Cam
32-316-4 has 292° Int/296° Ex & .556"/.585" lift & is 351c Cam,

see what I mean? nothing matches up with cam info given in post #1

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I see.

I will contact him tomorrow morning and point that out and see if it was a typo etc.

Appreciate that :thumbsup:

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I spoke to the man. He told me he got that off the advertisement the other man made. He will see if he can source some more info from the previous owner if possible, dyno sheets etc, otherwise, will have to do it here to confirm what is going on.

Thanks for feedback though. That helps a lot.

Back