Cold air intake (race only)

So... not sure if anyone has done this and either succeeded or failed ... but I got my thinkin cap on and I'm somewhat outside the box at the moment... so here it goes :idea2:

What about not reversing the intake manifold and bringing air in from the roof duct through the bulk head? Would end up having to do some glass work on the interior roof, cut a hole in the bulkhead, fabricate a cold air box and get everything sealed up... but I cant see why this cant and perhaps hasn't been done on a race only car or in a supercharged application where the throttle body/air intake has to remain at the accessory drive side of the motor?

Benefits:
  • Cold air... duh!:laugh:
  • From what I can tell it would allow a guy to use the GM harness "as is" (i.e. no surgery)
  • Could be a cool race/track only mod (I love utilitarian type stuff... all function with little concern for form):cool:
Challenges:
  • Would the rood duct flow enough air?
  • Is there enough room between the race cage and the interior roof to glass in a channel that would have enough flow capacity and allow the connection (roof channel to bulkhead) to be far enough back toward the bulkhead?
  • Is this sort of mod allowable by all or most sanctioning race groups (i.e. fire protection)?
  • Clearance with accessory drive?
With enough perseverance anything can be done... but is this a reasonable thing to attempt? Has anyone attempted it? Thoughts?

KV

Last edited:
Kevin,

firstly there is just not enough room to have the intake facing forward.....

The LMP-C cars used in ALMS use LS engines with the forward facing intake, they use a 90 deg. cast aluminum elbow to point the air inlet vertically....if you really want to try it..

The roof scoop, unless modified and the inlet moved forward to the leading edge of the roof will not provide enough volume/flow unless your airbox is a large sealed plenum...similar to using a restrictor and having a large airbox full of air as a reserve...ALMS Corvette C6R style...

We have done a carbon airbox for a race SLC and the air intakes are actually on the rear window area of the tail...

Just a few of the initial hurdles....

Last edited:
Go through the side scoop; disadvantage is that your intake tube runs over the headers, but with stainless headers and a wrapped aluminum intake pipe on the dyno intake temps were bang on ..... so moving, with cold air ramming into the side scoop, will do nothing but help (as opposed to on the dyno with no real air flow other than shop air)

Also put your battery disconnect switch around the side scoop so you can just snake your hand into it and kill all power very easily. (i made a lot of mistakes but that's one thing I did right and am glad I did)

How about a couple of side ducts glassed into the rear clam like the ones Shane makes for the GTM? They are set up for routing the air where required. I am sure they could be adapted to the SLC...in fact, I think someone here has already used them on one, but I can't remember who. Help!

Here are a couple of pics...

Attachments

• DSCF2474.JPG
    DSCF2474.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC_2880.jpg
    DSC_2880.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 530
Airflow in ,through and out of the engine bay.....engine bay heat is always an issue with mid engined cars...just ask Ferrari and Mclaren about their multiple melted cars...

Ferrari 458 Italia recalled over fire risk

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxYVBY2InM[/ame]

Exactly the same reason the vent is there on the Le Mans.

It also acts as a chimney when the car is stationary allowing heat to escape also...sounds crazy but its true

Last edited:
Airflow in ,through and out of the engine bay.....engine bay heat is always an issue with mid engined cars...just ask Ferrari and Mclaren about their multiple melted cars...

So the Eagle is going to burn up, huh? Looks like its original roof scoop is completely blocked off, and the new engine air scoops don't ventilate the engine bay at all.

Why would the #18 car burn up?...it does not have the same extra street car bumph stuck all over the inside of the body for sound deadening and NVH as the Ferrari or the Macca

The tail is lifted off just about any race car just as soon as they enter the pits generally, less of a heat soak issue....... the airflow still flows through the side scoops and exits the rear of the car when its on track and moving...

You will see that the lower section of the tail section has been completely removed allowing even more air flow out of the engine bay, which in turn means better cooling...my 01 car is the same way...huh!

I can see you dont get my English sense of humour , showcasing that the high dollar establishment gets to suffer the same fate as the rest of us car low budget designers...public humiliation...

....or I could just say ..

Yep , its going to spontaneously burst into flames right after winning the next 25hr of Thill race.....

Last edited:
Or maybe you don't get my sense of humor. I'm just giving you a hard time for pointing at the the high dollar establishment's public humiliation by fire as a design rationale for the roof scoop when #18 seems to do fine without it.

That little scoop really makes that much difference in non-race configurations? Haven't some SLC builders done fine with the scoop not plumbed through to the engine bay? I'm not really just trying to give you a hard time, but I am curious about how amenable the car is to having the scoop eliminated or re-purposed.

Buy one and let me know....wink.

The 18 car is a race car not a street car....different collection of issues all together...

All SLC DP kits come with the inner roof panel and the aluminum rear bulkhead is already shaped to allow air flow into the engine bay...so unless someone choses not to install the inner roof panel and block off the aluminmum bulkhead ...then they all have a functional roof duct

Last edited:
different collection of issues all together...

So you've said. What I'm curious about is how successfully the scoop could be eliminated or re-purposed in a street car given that race cars can be built not to need it. Or is this something that really should not be contemplated?

Buying one is going to be hard enough. I'd prefer not to buy two in order to accommodate Ferrari's and McLaren's cooling R&D methodology.

Last edited:
Street cars sit around collecting engine bay heat at low speeds around town and as I already mentioned the roof scoop acts as an exhaust to relieve some of the heat when stationary/very slow moving...sure the scoop can be blocked off ...you just get more heat in the engine bay...

Race cars dont sit around with high engine bay temps heatsoaking like street cars and as a result they have continual airflow streaming in and around the engine bay ...at much higher rates than on a street car..scoop or no scoop.

The roof duct was never ever intended to feed an airbox ...with so many potential engine options there was no way to even consider this

Keep in mind that no OEM car offers the different range of drivetrain options the SLC does...OEMs design for one normally...especially in the mid engined car world

Keep in mind that the street tail...which can be used on a race/track car also has two large air intakes on the top for even more airflow...

This has been a primary question of mine since I became interested in the SLC. I know about heat problems with mid engined cars and my first concern in building this car was not seeing a substantial investment of time and money go up in flames. I started a thread on this some time ago, but there seemed to be little concern among those of you with hands on experience...I was reassured...should I rekindle my fears?

Absolutely not...the fact that we are well aware of these concerns and that we take measures to have adequate airflow means you can rest easy....

or you could buy a Flambe Ferrari....:thumbsup:

Back