Exhaust

Michael Fling

Supporter
If you were wanting a high pitched, high rpm sound on the LS3, has anyone experimented with a 180 degree exhaust/header mating cylinders 1/6, 5/8, 4/7, 3/2 as the header? I was curious if anyone has done this, if there was room in a street tail, or if this created a significant negative over the LS7 header that was recommended?

There is a silver SLC with a SBC race engine and 180 degree crossover headers. I believe a few members have heard it person. Every crossover header I've heard sound fantastic.

It would be a lot of work to fit. Running a Porsche trans will give you a lot more space to make it happen.

I asked Fran about 180's,, he said "good luck with that", The 180's on the silver one cost around $2,500 to fabricate. He said there isn't a lot of room.

I'm actually wondering about something a little different. I might be using a VK56VD instead of an LS3 (though I have the 6.2 in my storage right now),

I'm wonder how hard it would be to swap the left and right heads, (ala BMW N62/S62), and make it a hot head. You could flow cross-overs pretty easily. Listen to a new M6 (not the standard turbo V8),, it sounds AWESOME, and it's a crossplane crank.

I asked Fran about 180's,, he said "good luck with that", The 180's on the silver one cost around $2,500 to fabricate. He said there isn't a lot of room.

$2,500 is pretty cheap....I paid ~4k for my custom cobra exhaust and ~4k for my SLC's equal length head/exhaust.

I heard that SBC had a lot of issues with heat soak from the exhaust .... might be plausible with a porsche transaxle, definitely not with a Ricardo, haha.

There's a past post/thread that covers this exhaustively....:0(

I think the main issues were space & heat and a fair amount of paper with pictures of dead presidents.

Back