Brake Caliper Paint

Greetings! Hope those of you in the midwest are staying warm. I am going to have my brake calipers painted. Does any have a recommendation as to what brand of caliper paint to buy? Somebody recommended Foliatec to me but before I bought I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks very much,
Ryan

I'd consider having them powder coated. I went through the trouble of removing the pistons and seals, but apparently you don't need to bother. The powdercoat oven is around 450 degrees F and that's way below the max temp of the seals. Ask around on this one though... caveat emptor. :)

Tim

Ryan
I have had very good luck with G-2 caliper paint. Heat resistant to 950 degrees.
Painted valve covers with it too. Suggest spraying on. Comes with a brush in the kit. Evil bay for good source.

Could you just use regular auto paint like Dupont Chromabase with clear on top? I was thinking about painting mine to match the car and have seen someone on the board do it. I wonder if really a street only car they might not really get all that hot like a track car. Has anyone put on the stickers that record the highest heat on them?

My powder coater wouldn't do it without removal of the seals.

Same with mine when I dropped them off and was just working with the front desk person. When I picked them up and the shop's long time owner gave them the finished calipers back to me, he casually mentioned "you didn't need to remove the seals". Not sure who to believe, but glad we all went the safer route. :confused:

There is Brake paint made specifically for the dirt and heat that brakes endure. It's inexpensive and available at most auto part stores in a rattle can or brush-on forms. Just start with a clean surface and it lasts. One rattle can will do all your calipers.

Brake fluid is tough on nearly all paints. As long as you wipe the brake fluid off right away, the caliper paint will be ok.

I've used the rattle can on several cars. In fact, I repainted all 6 calipers on my SLC (4 Brembos & 2 e-brake). I have a thing about labels (don't like 'em):rolleyes2:

Ryan
I have had very good luck with G-2 caliper paint. Heat resistant to 950 degrees.
Painted valve covers with it too. Suggest spraying on. Comes with a brush in the kit. Evil bay for good source.

I too have had great luck with this stuff.

Back