Carpet - WTB

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Google brings up many choices for buying automotive carpet. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy from?

The "Rod Kit" from Automotive Interiors looks good: Automotive Interiors

The FFR cut pile carpet (unbacked) is pretty low quality, IMO.
You would be much better off purchasing a more formable unbacked
needle punch Ozite carpet from evilbay. Needs no edging after trimming if you so choose.

I wanted to buy some carpet to replace a worn trunk carpet for my RR corniche. It's nice stuff...wool, thick, woven, etc. $125 bucks a square foot. What? $1,800 for a trunk carpet? My upholstery guy found some nice wool stuff for $25/ft and boardered it with leather binding, looked just like the original for about $400 bucks all done.

Some years ago I replaced the carpet in my ski boat with the black automotive stuff you get from Home Depot. Looked great. $200 bucks, done!

My bit of advice would be it's impossible to buy it over the internet. You gotta feel it with your own hands and see it with your own eyes to be able to gauge if it's what you want to be staring at in your own car for the next XX number of years.

Good advice Cliff.
Go to a local trim shop & do a scratch and sniff, then go online for best pricing.

Last edited:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Pete - I've purchased complete carpet sets for my Lotus Europa and Esprit projects from these folks: AutoMat Customizing & Restoration - Home Page

They have a wide range of carpet, pad and trim materials. I haven't installed them yet but the cut and trim quality is very good. They even do custom embroidered logo floor mats.

You may want to give them a call.

Regards,
Dave L

Back