rear axel hub

The other day when I finished the camber on the rear wheels I jacked the rear up to move it and align it with two straight lines. When I was moving it sideways by pushing on the top of the right rear tire, I felt movement in the tire side to side. I looked down at the axel stub connection when I moved the tire and saw the stub moving up and down. I removed the jam nut on the axel and checked to see if the axel nut was tight, it was. Anybody have this happen? If so what did you do? The car has 0 miles.

How tight did you tighten the nuts to - they should only 118ft-lbs ... too tight and you can damage it.

If the car has been rolled around , even in and out of your garage with the stub axle not installed or incorrectly tightened there is a chance that the rear wheel bearings maybe damaged.
The design of the OEM GM bearing requires the stub axle be in place to prevent the bearing races spreading and being irreparably damaged.

The car was rolled around during delivery, etc. prior to having the stub axels installed. I checked the torque when I re-torqued all the bolts on the car just after getting it. I guess my next step would be to pull the axel hub?

I believe that the stub axles in question are an off-the shelf OEM General Motors part, assembled when received by RCR. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Aaron,
No we don't,
We also don't ship rollers without stub axles installed and never have....we don't even roll cars around the shop without them installed for the very reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Kits are assembled on racks and the wheels don't touch the ground until items such as these are installed ...

Last edited:
The car was rolled around during delivery, etc. prior to having the stub axels installed. I checked the torque when I re-torqued all the bolts on the car just after getting it. I guess my next step would be to pull the axel hub?

I made mistake here, the car was delivered with stub axels installed, I never had taken the stub axel out until now. I didn't have the short axel stubs installed. It turned out to be a bad bearing from GM in the hub with an excessive amount of play in the hub which translated into a lot of play at the outside of the wheel. The only ground time was rolling around the shop and a trip down the driveway and back.

Last edited:
Re: SL-C Sold

When I recently had problems with a bad hub bearing I found while adjusting the camber I called RCR, I explained to the shop guy what I found. He talked to Vicki who in turn talked to Fran. He said it was due to “wear and tear” even though the car has not been driven except about ¼ mile to check the transmission and clutch. Fran offered to pay ½ of the part cost of $145.00 and I would pay the other ½ plus shipping. That came to $90.99. Being that they don’t accept credit cards I sent a check. Three day later on Sunday I Googled the part number and was directed to Summit where I do a fair amount of business. They had the exact same part #513013 from the same vendor as the original part from Fran for $47.97. Being that it was about 1/3 of Fran’s “cost” I ordered it at Summit and called Monday to cancel the RCR order. I mistakenly thought that after spending $70,000 with RCR that I would get a reasonable deal. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/axt-513013

Ken Roberts

Supporter

Al are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? The Timken hub assembly with the same part number at Summit is $145. I would buy the Moog or Timken hub assembly before I bought a "no name" part for the SLC.

I thought that after five years going halves was more than fair.....dont think any other manufacturer in our industry or any OEM would have done the same after five years.

Last edited:
The hub was the same brand, Auto Extra not Timken. I received some other parts from Fran packed in a Auto Extra box with the hub part number on it. My other hub is the same. The hubs have had the stub axels installed since the car was delivered, I just checked the torque on the stub axels. As far as time goes I guess the time would start after I received my last (not all, I never did get my AC, after 3 years I swapped the AC I didn't have for a lift kit) parts which was after 3 years. I don't have a problem with paying what the part cost, but saying a $47.97 part is $145.00 is more than 3 times as much.

The bearing you would have received would have been a Timken unit....we have not used the bearing you quoted for four years or more.

So you would indeed have got a deal on a better quality part...which is now the standard on all of my kits btw....and the fact still remains that I offered you a 50% discount after "X" years...

Last edited:
Continual improvement and product development...obviously I feel the new bearings are a worthy inclusion in the kits ....they are now the OE part

Last edited:
I am not a slc owner yet, but hope to be before too much longer. But I am a long time reader of this forum. One of the best things that I have come to realize is that Fran is always looking for ways to improve the cars that he manufactures. I believe that once I am fortunate enough to purchase one, that at various times during the build I will be contacting Fran or at least someone at RCR to be sure that I have the latest and greatest when I finish my build. One other point I would like to make is that with the way that Fran is continually improving these cars, all parts not being shipped in the beginning may not be such a bad thing. You may end up with a better part when he does ship it. Lurked a long time before joining and from Mesa and almost every other builder I have followed seems to me that Fran is always more than fair. Hope to be a more real part of this forum before too much longer.

Back